• Page:

TOPIC:

Medals to the South Australian Imperial Bushmen 3 years 3 months ago #74656

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 776
IL,
I shall look forward to reading it.
I have also ordered Craig Wilcox's title 'Australia's Boer War'. Now I have a medal to the SAIB I feel I really need to know the Australian experience and perspective of the campaign.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the South Australian Imperial Bushmen 1 year 5 months ago #87002

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Transvaal, Wittebergen (217 Tpr: H.F. Tolmer. South Aus: I.B.)

Horace Foster Tolmer (also noted as 'Tollmer') served with the 4th Contingent of the South Australian Imperial Bushmen in South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War. Born in North Adelaide in March 1879, the Roll confirms his entitlement to this Medal and clasps, additionally noting entitlement to the further clasp 'South Africa 1901'.

The 4th Contingent S.A.I.B., 230-strong, landed at Port Elizabeth (Cape Colony) on 19 June 1900 and swiftly saw much action against the Boers, especially in the defence of supply convoys and the pursuit of General De Wet towards the end of the conflict. Post-war, Tolmer perhaps emigrated to South Africa as he died in that country in October 1918 at Harding, Natal.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the South Australian Imperial Bushmen 1 year 5 months ago #87301

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Rhodesia, Orange Free State, Transvaal (66 Tpr A.Staples S.Aus.Bushmen.) Impressed. Clasps loose on ribbon

Alfred Staples, age 25 yrs, 3rd South Australian Bushmens Contingent; Enlisted 19 Jan 1900 at Adelaide, Sth Aust; Embarked 7 Mar 1900 from Port Adelaide; Returned 29 Apr 1901.

99 medals to 3rd S.A.Bushmen.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the South Australian Imperial Bushmen 6 months 2 days ago #92674

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (290 Tpr: G.W.Ozanne. South Aus: I.B.) Impressed.

George William Ozanne, labourer, age 20, born at Glanville, Sth Aust; Enl.28Jan1901 at Adelaide, Sth Aust; Emb.09Feb1901; Disemb.23Mar1901 at Port Elizabeth, South Africa and operations against the Boers from Kroostadt, notably against De Wet and Smuts near Klerksdorp and Bloemfontein and on to the south east of the Orange River Colony; RTA 05Apr1902; Disemb.27Apr1902 at Adelaide, Sth Aust and discharged
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the South Australian Imperial Bushmen 2 months 3 weeks ago #94132

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (5) ape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (345 Tpr: A. C. Webster. South Aus: I.B.) small scratch to obverse field

Albert Charles Webster was born in Upper Wakefield, South Australia, on 23 May 1879 and served with the 5th South Australian Imperial Bushmen in South Africa during the Boer War. He was invalided back to Australia in January 1902, and died on 23 February 1948.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds