Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Jameson Raider - Charles E.H. Sutherland of Kitchener's Horse 2 weeks 3 days ago #95298

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2161
Perhaps you missed it Chris.....

Like most Jameson Raiders, Sutherland wasn’t done with Africa. Once the dust had settled he headed back to Rhodesia, resuming his service with the military there – on this occasion as a Corporal with the Matabeleland Relief Force, in which capacity he took part in the second Matabele Rebellion, that of 1896. The B.S.A.C. medal he earned was issued off their roll, his address being provided as c/o J. Pitt (his mother’s maiden name), 16 Greencroft Gardens, South Hampstead, London – alternatively, The Castle Mail Packet Co. Ltd., Cape Town in whose service he was employed as a Shipping Clerk once the rebellion was over and his time in Rhodesia had come to an end.

The above taken from my article.

You wrote:

My final point concerns the parent unit of the bulk of the raiders. While the text of the first post here notes that only a couple of score men were left in Matabeland, the unit losing the men is named as the Mashonaland Mounted Police. I know this is normally the unit cited, but the contemporaneous accounts (e.g. a despatch from the Governor of Natal on 28 Jan 1896, letters to the Times from Raiders dismissing Capt Thatcher's claims to have 'ridden with Jameson') all give the unit as the Matebeleland Mounted Police. I did set out the arguments in full in a post here a couple of years ago and there have been no responses challenging my points. In any event, the world will keep turning whatever the unit was named!

In the following pages from Hickman's Men Who Made Rhodesia, on page 54, a detailed breakdown of the parent units of the Raiders is supplied.

For Simon Ralph's attention I also append page 61 from the same book which refers to those unaccounted for i.e. escapees

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.636 seconds