Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

An Unpublished Tribute Medal - 3rd Volunteer Battalion, K.O.S.B., Dumfries 2 years 8 months ago #78211

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2009
Thank you for your continued input and the photographs of your stunning group to Private McKIMMIE.
The Annan medal has always struck me as being of a very modern design and quite different to any of the other tributes. It really stands out.

Everything you say about the issue of multiple medals makes sense and I have amended the Dumfries entry accordingly. I am still not entirely sure about Moffat, as it seems peculiar that all five men stayed away from the presentation. It would be good to see a group to one of those five.

The Draft contingent is now shown separately, and I have included your point that D. Pringle is shown as D. Smith in the D&G Standard article.

I will upload your photos of the Annan medal once ready (with white background).

N

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

An Unpublished Tribute Medal - 3rd Volunteer Battalion, K.O.S.B., Dumfries 2 years 8 months ago #78214

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
ANNAN now updated with photographs.

Any idea what the "P.I / W / M" in the centre of the reverse stands for?

An Unpublished Tribute Medal - 3rd Volunteer Battalion, K.O.S.B., Dumfries 2 years 8 months ago #78300

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
N

The cartouche at the centre of the reverse is a representation of the town seal for the Royal Burgh of Annan

The book The Town Council Seals of Scotland; historical, legendary etc electricscotland.com/council/07AberchirderToAyr.pdf
has this to say about Annan and the interpretation of the seal

Pete
Attachments:

Re: An Unpublished Tribute Medal - 3rd Volunteer Battalion, K.O.S.B., Dumfries 4 months 1 week ago #93365

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Below is the framed Freedom parchment that was presented by the Royal Burgh of Dumfries to 6961 Private Tom MISKELLY, one of the recipients of the Dumfries tribute medal. Unfortunately it came without the medal.

SEE: DUMFRIES TRIBUTE MEDAL

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Volunteer

Re: An Unpublished Tribute Medal - 3rd Volunteer Battalion, K.O.S.B., Dumfries 4 months 1 week ago #93375

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
In the original post in this topic by Aberdeen Medals, Mark described the Dumfries Tribute Medal of Adam Keen and wrote
“- QSA. 'Cape Colony' 'OFS' 'Johannesburg' (6973 Cpl. A. Keene. Vol: Coy K.O.Sco:Bord:)
- Dumfries, Scotland: South African Campaign 1900 Medal' to 3rd VB K.O.S.B. (Lc. Corpl. A. Keen)
- Third Volunteer Battalion K.O.S.B.. Large h/m silver regimental prize medal
…………………………..
"Interestingly the lot also came with a cylindrical presentation tube that had once contained the recipients 'Freeman' parchment, and which was named in gilt tooled letters 'on the tube 'Freedom of the Royal Burgh of Dumfries - Presented to Private Adam Keen'.” My emphasis.

This group now resides in my collection.

I thought it worth adding images of the presentation tube that would once have contained Adam Keen’s “ticket” to complement the very fine image of Tom Miskelly’s Burgess ticket posted by Neville

(Keen’s tube is now occupied by a photocopy of the Burgess ticket of Private David Smith. The tube, end to end, measures c.9”)
Peter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.919 seconds