Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 4 years 7 months ago #65492

• Droocoo
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you much better

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 3 years 9 months ago #69910

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508

Picture courtesy of DNW

East and West Africa 1887-1900 (1) Niger 1897 (3187 Sergt. C. Bayford. E: York R.);
Royal Niger Company Medal 1886-97 (1) Nigeria 1886-1897 (Sergeant C. Bayford East Yorkshire Regiment);
QSA (3) Cape Colony, Wittebergen, South Africa 1901 (3187 Sgt. C. Bayford, 2nd E. Yorkshire Regt.);
1914-15 Star (308108, C. Bayford, S.P.O., R.N.);
BWM and VM (308108 C. Bayford. Ch. Sto. R.N.);
Royal Navy LS&GC GV, 1st issue (308108 C. Bayford, Ch. Sto. HMS Comus.)

Provenance: Elson Collection, Glendining’s, February 1963 (first three), and afterwards in the collection of Jane Kenworthy, Maine, U.S.A.; purchased from The Armoury of St James’s, September 1992. The World War I and LS&GC medals purchased with all original documents at Glendining’s, September 1990.

Brought to the notice of the Lieut-General, by their Commanding Officers in Special Divisional Order, dated Harrismith, 19 November 1900, for ‘Good Service during the Campaign’:- No. 3187 Sergeant C. Bayford, 2nd East Yorkshire Regiment.

The Royal Niger Company medal was awarded in silver to 36 British officers and N.C.O’s., 46 Royal Niger Company officers, and 10 Royal Niger Constabulary.

Charles Bayford was born at Whitby, Yorkshire, on 12 January 1873, and attested at Beverley on 4 June 1891, for the East Yorkshire Regiment. He was appointed Lance-Corporal in August 1892, and promoted to Corporal in February 1893, and to Sergeant in February 1896. He served overseas in the Niger Territories from 21 November to 20 December 1896, and in South Africa from 14 March 1900 to 15 June 1901. He reverted to Private on 4 April 1902, and was discharged at Beverley on 3 June 1903.

Bayford joined the Royal Navy on 1 November 1904, as a Stoker 2nd Class aboard HMS Acheron, advancing to Stoker in April 1905; Stoker 1st Class, April 1906; Leading Stoker, April 1908; Stoker Petty Officer, February 1910; Chief Stoker, 1 January 1918. He was awarded the LS&GC whilst in Comus on 28 July 1921, and was shore pensioned on 12 June 1922.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 3 years 9 months ago #70024

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
Now thats what I call a re-unite when you read its history

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 3 years 9 months ago #70582

• BerkshireT
  • Thank you received: 9
I am a Yeomanry regimental collector so it limits my field some. Infact when I had 7 x QSA I decided I didn't need anymore unless they added "something different" to my collection. Reason being they look similar and often have same clasp combination and so similar research ... do I need any more? I have most all of the Service Papers down loaded so why do I need to buy loads of similar medals?
Well needless to say a Sergeant came along, and I didn't have a Sergeant so despite not having specific details beyond the service papers I decided I needed it! ;)
Then a casualty - all be it to Typhoid but again I decided it added to my collection and .... yes! :huh:
Then an Adjutant and I certainly did not have one of those in my collection ... now I do! :P
So having decided I didn't need any more single QSA I find myself adding at an alarming rate!
Does any of this sound familiar? Having said this I have passed as many medals by which fit my collection and so convinced myself that I am at least being a little selective. :P

This group is to Saddler Sergeant Harry Martin who was a personality in the Berkshire Yeomanry over many years. He was in 2nd contingent in 1901 and by this time the Companies were not recruited geographically but formed at Aldershot. Harry deployed with 48th Coy, 7 Bn (which were attributed to North Somerset but the largest number of its members of this particular company contingent were recruited by 39th Coy in Berkshire). Harry had the dubious fame for being shot twice at battle of Vlaakfontein on 29 May 1901. The I.Y. did not fair very well at this action although from what I have read it was more down to poor decision making than the determination of the Yeomanry.
The nice thing about this group is I have over 9 pictures of him (only one original). His TFEM is named to "909 SD SJT H. MARTIN BERKS YEO" so Saddler Sergeant is a fairly unusual appointment - at least in my collection.
Harry Martin was a Newbury man and in the Boer War IY photo he wears his "saddler badge" and the photo Studio is Newbury. He stayed with the Berkshire Yeomanry till end of WW1 but never deployed as was not "battle worthy" so there is a "Silver War Badge" somewhere?
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 3 years 9 months ago #70583

• BerkshireT
I am particularly pleased with this group as a Berkshire postman from Newbury who served in South Africa with 58th Coy in the 2nd Contingent. The 58th are a Berkshire I.Y. attributed company and he went on to serve in ASC (Territorial) in WW1 and gained the 1914 Star, which is special as its extremely difficult to find a Berkshire Yeomanry medal with a 1914 Star in same group as the regiment did not deploy till 1915. So my only 1914 Star in collection and not only this but also a ISM as he served in the postal service over 25 years.
Trooper Henry John Burden 23260, of 58th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y. with QSA clasps C, O, T, 01, 02
When you follow the "Blood trail" of members of the same 2nd Contingent 58th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y. they had their share of fighting on 12th May 1902 near Vleyplaatz
Barclay, A. 28896, Trooper 12/05/02 Danger wound near Vleyplaatz
Diaper, Ernest 24529, Trooper 12/05/02 Danger wound near Vleyplaatz, DOW the same day
Bristow, Frederick Albert 28829, Trooper 12/05/02 Killed in action near Vleyplaatz
Sutherland, Albert 28974, Trooper 12/05/02 Killed in Action near Vleyplaatz
Tripp, Frederick 32129, Trooper 12/05/02 Killed in Action near Vleyplaatz
Sewell, Walter Charles 28631, Trooper 12/05/02 Slight wound near Vleyplaatz
McDowall, John 28954, Sergeant 12/05/02 Slight wound near Vleyplaatz

How do I add the picture to my blog so it shows as others have without enclosing as an attachment (as I have)?

Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 3 years 8 months ago #70756

• BerkshireT
One more and you may say... "its not an unusual medal combination"... and I would agree. However its special to me as its with the correct Silver War Badge and has a named "Served with Honour" scroll which certainly make it scarce for a Berkshire Yeomanry group. Also came with a "trench art" inkwell made with the nose tip of a shell (no ammo safety declaration :silly: ) and a photo frame... but unfortunately no photo.

QSA: Gibbs, John Miller 24504, Private 63rd Coy. 1st Bn. I.Y.
VM & BWM: Pte. John Miller Gibbs 2650 Berks Yeo
Silver War Badge No.489494

GIBBS, T. F., Berks Yeomanry, Frilsham Newbury & District Vols to Dec 1915. in Newbury Weekly News 23rd & 30th December 1915. This indicates he was a "Derby man" and enlisted under the terms of Lord Derby.
Born about 1877 and lived at 20 Station Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 4.022 seconds