The Indian Contingent 5 years 4 months ago #61249

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The only bronze medal I noticed today

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Indian Contingent 5 years 4 months ago #61325

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
As previously reported in posts 57994,57995 & 58017 in this thread, Dooly Bearer Khayoo's medal was auctioned in the auction rooms of Dix, Noonan & Webb last September. The medal seemed unfancied and now is in my collection of Dooly Bearers who were at Talana, via a dealer, to whom it was hammered.
789 Dooly Bearer Khayoo S & T Corps
Bangalore District Supply and Transport Corps

I have learnt how to download files from the Indian Digital Archive so here is evidence of the, missing three clasp I.G.S.Medal & evidence of service at Talana.

And finally the return to India after nine months of service in South Africa

Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey

The Indian Contingent 5 years 4 months ago #61336

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Available on BoB at present.

QSA (0) (176 Blacksmith. Mohamed Bux - Mule and Transport Corps)

The medal roll shows that he was entitled to 3 clasps - Transvaal , Tug Heights , Defence of Ladysmith , but unfortunately clasps were never supplied with the Bronze medals .

The medal is correctly named but quite difficult to read as they were all lighty engraved

Picture courtesy of BoB
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

The Indian Contingent 5 years 4 months ago #61339

• David Grant
Unfortunately not the rare combination of Tugela Heights & Defence of Ladysmith. Interestingly he is down as "returned to India" & "medal returned 31st January 1907.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey

The Indian Contingent 5 years 1 month ago #62342

• David Grant
2506 Sowar Khair Ullah
11th Bengal Lancers

India General Service Medal “Punjab Frontier 1897-98” “Malakand” 2506 Sowar Khair Ullah 11th Bl. Lcrs
Queen’s South Africa Medal “Orange Free State”;” Transvaal”; “South Africa 1902” 2506 Sowar Khairullah Khan 11th Bengal Lcrs.
Tibet Medal 2506 Sowar Khair Ullah 11th Lcrs

N.-W. Frontier of India, 1897-98.- Defence of Malakand, Malakand. Action at Landikai. Operations
in Bajour and the Mohmand country. - Mohmand. – 2 clasps
South Africa, 1902.- Medal with three clasps
Tibet, 1903-1904. – Medal

Defence of Malakand. (26 July – 2 August 1897)

One squadron, 11th Bengal Lancers arrive at Malakand on the 29th July

35. At 4 P.M. this day (29th) one squadron,11th Bengal Lancers, 88 strong, marched into Malakand
under command of Major Beatson. In the evening the 38th Dogras and 35th Sikhs and details of the
Guides arrived at Dargai under Colonel Reid. The heat on the road had been intense and 21 men of
the 35th Sikhs died of heat apoplexy. I ordered Colonel Reid to halt at Dargai the next day in order to
give these regiments a rest. Daring the day, the Bazaar and serai were levelled, trees were cleared
away, abattis and breastworks strengthened, and in the evening large, bonfires were lighted up in front
of the central position, so that the enemy advancing by the Graded Road to the attack should be
obliged to cross a line of light. The result was that the central position did not have such a severe time
of it this night. It was known that the enemy had been largely reinforced during the day, and a
vigorous attack was anticipated.2.

Defence of Chakdarra

18. At daybreak (of the 27th July) it was ascertained that the North Camp had not been seriously
attacked, aid that all was well there. I consequently ordered the 31st Punjab Infantry with the
Squadron, 11th Bengal Lancers, and two guns, supported by a wing of the 24th Punjab Infantry, to
pursue the enemy, the majority of whom had withdrawn in the direction of Khar and Butkheyla.
19. They pursued for a short distance up the valley when they came across a very large gathering of
the enemy, and as it was evident that this attempt on our camp had been the signal for a large tribal-
gathering, I ordered Major Gibbs, who was in charge of the pursuit, to retire and bring up all the
stores, ammunition, and treasure of the troops in North Camp to the Kotal, and concentrate all his
force before dark in that place
20. The Squadron, 11th Bengal Lancers, under Captain Wright, which had covered the advance of
Major Gibbs' force, had pushed right on to Chakdarra, being fired on the whole way, and Captain
Wright wisely determined to stop at that place, where his party has proved a useful reinforcement to
the two companies, 46th Sikhs, under Lieutenant Rattray ' and Lieutenant. Wheatley, forming the
garrison of the post.2.

From - Lieutenant A.B. Minchin. Assistant Political Agent, Chakdarra.

At Landakai

14. The Landakai causeway, though passable, was still in such bad order when the Guides traversed it
that they debouched from it slowly by twos and threes, and Captain H. I. E. Palmer, who commanded
the leading squadron, being told by the infantry crowning the heights to his right that the enemy were
escaping over the plain in front of him which he could not yet see, collected part of his squadron and
pushed on in pursuit. As soon as he emerged from the fields of high Indian-corn at the end of the
causeway, he saw the enemy a mile or so in front escaping to the hills and galloped after them, but the
ground being heavy he got rather ahead of his men. Near him on his left was Lieutenant R. T.
Greaves, Lancashire Fusiliers who was with the force as Correspondent of the Times of India; -and
further to his left, and a little in rear, rode Lieutenant-Colonel R. B. Adams with his galloper.
Lieutenant Norman, 11th Bengal Lancers. The first squadron came along, as quickly as they could, in
somewhat loose formation, and were followed at no great distance by the other two. The enemy were
rapidly escaping to the face of the hill marked B on the attached sketch, and Lieutenant
Adams, quickly taking in the situation, ordered the Ziarat marked C to be held with dismounted fire;
a measure which, but for the unfortunate contretemps which now occurred, would have been most
effectual, as fire from this Ziarat swept completely and at short range the hill up which the enemy
were retiring.2.

South Africa – 1902, presume service with the Remount Depot.
Telegram 836 M dated 12th April 1902
" Transport Aurania sailed 8th April due Durban 21st April. On board :- First remount depot and Native personel for two British and one Native ield hospitals"

Tibet- The Indian Cavalry Regiments sent detachments, which formed about a half wing, and was
used for scouting, galloping etc. The Tibet Medal is rare to Indian Cavalry Regiments

Tantalizingly there is a photograph of the Duffadars of the Regiment in the Royal Collection of a man wearing the same combinations of medals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey, Rory

The Indian Contingent 5 years 1 month ago #62465

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A seemingly unnamed bronze QSA on eBay. . Price £220

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 3.409 seconds