Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: QSA with 7 clasps 11 years 2 months ago #7470

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Liz,
What I meant was, you could put a "wanted advertisment" in Medal News in respect of finding his medals if they exist today.
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: QSA with 7 clasps 11 years 2 months ago #7471

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Liz
And welcome to the forum.
I recently acquired a seven clasp QSA at a medal fair but I must admit I have not seen many around.
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...12th-lancers-7-clasp
I wish you sucess in your search, do not give up hope, I recently managed to find a WW1 pair to a Great Uncle through ebay.
May I suggest joining the British Medal Forum and adding your GGrandfathers medals details there, its worth a try.
David hope you did not mind me advertising the BMF!

Regards
Paul :)

Lizzy wrote: Hello all, I'm new here.

What are the realistic chances of me finding the medals for a Scots Guardsman Pte H Corkhill (or spelled Corkill). H is for Harry?

I think from Ancestry records he was entitled to 7 clasps. Which looks like a big number from auction sites I have been looking at.

I don't think he's on your list of those serving in the Boer War on this website.

I only recently found out his history - He's my g grandfather and died from heart condition caused by stress in WW1.

Does any one know if the Scots Guards have a collection of medals that might just include Harry's?

Thanks in anticiation

Liz

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: QSA with 7 clasps 11 years 2 months ago #7472

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Liz,
That is a very good idea of Franks

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Liz,
What I meant was, you could put a "wanted advertisment" in Medal News in respect of finding his medals if they exist today.
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: QSA with 7 clasps 11 years 2 months ago #7474

• Lizzy
  • Lizzy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Paul,
It looks like I will have a go at both ideas. I rather hoped there was a lovely database somewhere that logged needs and wants or indeed somewhere to log where all these medals are. Hubbie says that would be an enormous undertaking - and he's right of course. The technology is there for a database that size nowadays.

I'll have a look at the British Medal Forum.

Thanks for your help guys.

Liz

Re: QSA with 7 clasps 11 years 2 months ago #7478

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Paul,

That's a good idea to suggest both Token's and the BMF's site. Anything we can do to help people re-unite medals is a step in the right direction. Ultimately it would be great to have a single source for this kind of information.

Liz - welcome and Paul's advice to not give up is worth heeding. The more places the name pops up during internet searches, the more chance you have of finding a match at some point.

Would another avenue be to post the request to some genealogy sites?

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: QSA with 7 clasps 11 years 2 months ago #7508

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Paul,
Well I hope that if Liz joins the BMF, she has more success than a friend of mine who tried to join a couple of weeks ago now, still has not had his membership confirmed! :(
Can't really comment though, I am not a member! :)

Will you be able to get to the next medal fair with all that snow around?
Regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Hello Liz
And welcome to the forum.
I recently acquired a seven clasp QSA at a medal fair but I must admit I have not seen many around.
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...12th-lancers-7-clasp
I wish you sucess in your search, do not give up hope, I recently managed to find a WW1 pair to a Great Uncle through ebay.
May I suggest joining the British Medal Forum and adding your GGrandfathers medals details there, its worth a try.
David hope you did not mind me advertising the BMF!

Regards

Lizzy wrote: Hello all, I'm new here.

What are the realistic chances of me finding the medals for a Scots Guardsman Pte H Corkhill (or spelled Corkill). H is for Harry?

I think from Ancestry records he was entitled to 7 clasps. Which looks like a big number from auction sites I have been looking at.

I don't think he's on your list of those serving in the Boer War on this website.

I only recently found out his history - He's my g grandfather and died from heart condition caused by stress in WW1.

Does any one know if the Scots Guards have a collection of medals that might just include Harry's?

Thanks in anticiation

Liz

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds