Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Imperial Yeomanry medals 11 years 1 month ago #7814

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Frank,
Thank you for your reply and theories.
Yes a Rhodesia is still on my list, still to come across one at my monthly medal fair!

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
All comes down to unit and clasp combination, some units are held in very high regard, Lord Lovat and his scouts for example, moreover,if you don't have a Rhodesia clasp, then the IY might be the way to go, though, I would in that situation, buy one to a kiwi, perhaps a nice New Zealand Rough Rider! :woohoo:
Trends come and go, consider your options and why you are thinking of buying a particular medal and have a good look around before parting with your cash.
It is always nice to know in advance what you are buying, so no unpleasant surprises later.
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Imperial Yeomanry medals 11 years 1 month ago #7815

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Paul,
I can think of better medals than those to the IY, the market is, at this point in time, being diven by speculators, hedge fund managers and people like Michael Ashcroft, though, to be fair to his lordship, I think he does actually get to touch and play with what he buys!
But, in the case of the former, you must understand that prices have gone up, not because of people like us, but, because of fund managers, who approach the likes of DNW, with a sum of money, "what sort of growth rate can you give me over the next five years?"
The typical reply might be 5% and so the deal is done, five years later, the said medals are either sold on again, DNW take the commission or they stay in the safe!
Yes, this is the top end of the market, but, it does have the knock on effect and what you are looking to buy increases in value and becomes harder to find.
Think about your next purchase, nothing wrong with the IY, but, I would buy something better if I were you.
As I said, market trends come and go, WO128 is nothing new, those papers have been available for ages, though, the internet is not the case.
If it is a Rhodesia clasp you want, the IY is both the easy and cheaper option, from memory, the 17th and 18th IY used to turn up a lot, but a kiwi, would be nicer! :)
The IY had the knack of getting into a devil of a mess, at Lindley in May 1900 for example, even my favourite, the Lovat Scouts, at Quaggafontein in September 1901, I have in my collection, the younger brother of their Adjutant who was killed in action there.
He was employed by the Colonial Office as commandant of the Constabulary in British New Guinea, after his brother had been killed, he resigned and left for South Africa, hell bent on revenge, he joined the Field Intelligence Department and spent his time on the high veldt in the Northern Transvaal.
The point is, if his brother had stayed clear of the IY and remained in his battalion he might have survived!
Anyway Paul, your money, your choice! :)
Regards as always Frank

Re: Imperial Yeomanry medals 11 years 1 month ago #7816

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Frank,
I think I may has mislead you with my post.
I always spend a good while looking at the dealers websites before I visit my monthly medal fair.
I like to see if anything new has turned up so I can research ahead of my visit, it was mearly an observation regards the IY medals.
They are not really within my collecting theme at the moment so it was not really an intention to purchase just an observation of the current market.
I agree with your observations on todays market trends, very astute.
I have picked out a few possibilities that I am going to look at all casualties just depends if I can broker a good deal!
Will let you know any outcomes.

Regards
Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hi Paul,
I can think of better medals than those to the IY, the market is, at this point in time, being diven by speculators, hedge fund managers and people like Michael Ashcroft, though, to be fair to his lordship, I think he does actually get to touch and play with what he buys!
But, in the case of the former, you must understand that prices have gone up, not because of people like us, but, because of fund managers, who approach the likes of DNW, with a sum of money, "what sort of growth rate can you give me over the next five years?"
The typical reply might be 5% and so the deal is done, five years later, the said medals are either sold on again, DNW take the commission or they stay in the safe!
Yes, this is the top end of the market, but, it does have the knock on effect and what you are looking to buy increases in value and becomes harder to find.
Think about your next purchase, nothing wrong with the IY, but, I would buy something better if I were you.
As I said, market trends come and go, WO128 is nothing new, those papers have been available for ages, though, the internet is not the case.
If it is a Rhodesia clasp you want, the IY is both the easy and cheaper option, from memory, the 17th and 18th IY used to turn up a lot, but a kiwi, would be nicer! :)
The IY had the knack of getting into a devil of a mess, at Lindley in May 1900 for example, even my favourite, the Lovat Scouts, at Quaggafontein in September 1901, I have in my collection, the younger brother of their Adjutant who was killed in action there.
He was employed by the Colonial Office as commandant of the Constabulary in British New Guinea, after his brother had been killed, he resigned and left for South Africa, hell bent on revenge, he joined the Field Intelligence Department and spent his time on the high veldt in the Northern Transvaal.
The point is, if his brother had stayed clear of the IY and remained in his battalion he might have survived!
Anyway Paul, your money, your choice! :)
Regards as always Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Imperial Yeomanry medals 11 years 1 month ago #7817

• Frank Kelley
Paul,
If you just buy, good honest, text book, medals, as cheap as you can, you will go far! :)
Regards Frank

Re: Imperial Yeomanry medals 11 years 1 month ago #7822

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
A few years ago, a collector in South Africa bought an IY QSA from a local dealer. There are few, if any, IY collectors locally, so the medal was cheap. The buyer realised from the name on the medal that the person concerned was a member of an aristocratic British family. I cannot now remember the details of the man's service in SA, but he may well have been a Lindley casualty. Anyway, the medal was sold to the family for a phenomenal price.

I have only a couple of IY medals in my collection but, since they are in groups, they add interest and value to these groups.

Regards
Brett

Re: Imperial Yeomanry medals 11 years 1 month ago #7823

• Frank Kelley
Good morning Brett,
I am in exactly the same position and I am in complete agreement with you, however, I have been very deliberate in not buying them.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote:
I have only a couple of IY medals in my collection but, since they are in groups, they add interest and value to these groups.

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds