Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Latest Aquisition - R.A.M.C. Group 11 years 2 months ago #7920

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
I am grateful to Paul for making your post appear again, I realised today that I had forgotten to add a couple of bits.
When I look at Victorians, either SAMIF or British Army/Marine, I always do a brief background check, really just to get a clear picture of what was going on, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, but always look in some of the various index and registers when I can.
Henry Eales, came from a very typical family and semi rural background, he was in 1861 the youngest of six children, here is the entry from RG9/294, his father and mother at the top, he is at the bottom, with his three bothers and two sisters above.

Their ages can be seen here.

The two eldest bothers are plow (plough) boys, quite typical, this was a rural area and they are not a wealthy family, I can get you his birth certificate if you wish?

I also looked at the census for 1881 and he is here in RG11/785 this is the Army Hospital Corps Depot.

Not really sure how far you want to go with this man, I can take him much, much further if you would like me to, I am sure you noticed his place of attestation was in fact Bow Street Police Court, this does NOT mean he is a "Choice maker" or felon, but, I could look in to this if you wish.
I have actually been there whilst doing some research into Dr Jameson, there was a lovely little shop, "The Bow Street Whisky Shop" close by! :evil:

Anyway have a think about it, regards again Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Latest Aquisition - R.A.M.C. Group 11 years 2 months ago #7921

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Really nothing much to add with him unless you have any particular questions or thoughts, here we come forward to 1911, he was discharged in 1902, and in addition to his children noted before, he now has another child, born after he left the army, he is still far from wealthy and is shown as an army pensioner and worker for his council, in their housing, interesting to note all his children are "born in barracks" except the last, his son, one of his daughters was born in Egypt too, a "British subject by parentage"

To conclude, I would say a really nice group of medals that must have meant quite a lot to him, a very good buy!

Anyway Mike, as I said, we can take this further if need be.

Attachments:

Re: Latest Aquisition - R.A.M.C. Group 11 years 2 months ago #7922

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Evening Frank.....

Thank you very much again just settling down to watch the big ball game and I want to say thanks again for all the information it will take me some time to sift through it all.....

Thanks again....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.992 seconds