Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 1 month ago #9058

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
David and Frank

There is an interesting link between Captain Wickham and Trooper Johnson, whose BSA Co Medal and QSA I showed earlier. I quote from my biography of Johnson:

"After Mafeking was relieved, British mounted troops (ILH and Scottish Yeomanry) under Lieutenant-General Sir Archibald Hunter moved from Mafeking through Lichtenberg and Ventersdorp to reach Potchefstroom on 10/6/1900. Before the mounted troops were replaced by infantry on 18/6/1900, General Hunter placed Lieutenant Rupert Wickham (ILH) in charge of the newly-created Potchefstroom District Police. In a fateful decision for Johnson, Wickham selected him and several other ILH men for transfer to the police. Johnson was given the rank of Sergeant and posted to Ventersdorp."

Johnson was later killed by the Boers while trying to make his way back to Mafeking.

I have not checked the roll, but I imagine that Wickham must also have been entitled to the 'Transvaal' clasp. Also, the 'Cape Colony' clasp would have been awarded in place of the 'Relief of Mafeking' clasp, if in fact he was not with the relief column.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 1 month ago #9059

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Brett,
WO100/250 confirms Cape Colony and Elandslaagte only.
Regards Frank

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 1 month ago #9064

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Medals to the ILH officers are popular at the moment. A dealer has on offer the group to William Forbes who was attached to the ILH and wounded at Elandslaagte.

Here is a picture I took of the group in 2004:

The group is:
  • Afghanistan (1) Kandahar (2nd Lieut., 2/7th Foot)
  • IGS 1854 (2)Burma 1885-7, Burma 1887-89 (Lieut., 2d Bn. R. Fus.)
  • QSA (4) CC, Elandslaagte, OFS, Tr (Capt., R. of O.)
  • KSA (2) (Capt., R. of O.)
  • 1911 Coronation (Major W. L. Forbes, Gold Staff Officer, Westminster Abbey)
William Lachlan Forbes was born in Aberdeenshire in 1859, son of General Sir John Forbes, GCB and educated at Clifton and Sandhurst. He joined the 2nd Battn, 7th Foot in 1879 and was present at the defence of Kandahar and in the battle of September 1880. Lieutenant July 1881. Served in the Burma operations of 1886-87. Captain 1887. Placed on half-pay. He served as Adjutant of the 1st (Volunteer) Battalion, Gordon Highlanders 1890-96. Reserve of Officers in 1898.

During the Boer War he served as Lieutenant in the ILH and was severely wounded at Elandslaagte. As a result of his wounds he was employed in the Remount Service. Promoted Major on being placed back on the Reserve of Officers. JP for Aberdeenshire.

He died in the 1930s.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 1 month ago #9092

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

Wickham entered the Transvaal in June 1900 with the ILH, so he should have got the 'Transvaal' clasp. Two of my ILH QSA's have mistakes with the clasps awarded, so Wickham may be another example. It was, however, naughty of him to award himself a 'Relief of Mafeking' clasp.

David
Thank you for showing another fantastic ILH group. The mixture of Indian and African medals adds glamour to medal groups and I wish I had more examples.

Regards
Brett

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 1 month ago #9095

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Brett,
I agree, but, the issue here is those particular clasps that are actually on the medal, was the medal issued with them, I would be very surprised if it had been, moreover, it would also be interesting to look at the rivets, they don't look quite how I would expect.
There is nothing in the dealers description, to suggest that they are suspect!
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank

Wickham entered the Transvaal in June 1900 with the ILH, so he should have got the 'Transvaal' clasp. Two of my ILH QSA's have mistakes with the clasps awarded, so Wickham may be another example. It was, however, naughty of him to award himself a 'Relief of Mafeking' clasp.

David
Thank you for showing another fantastic ILH group. The mixture of Indian and African medals adds glamour to medal groups and I wish I had more examples.

Regards
Brett

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 1 month ago #9112

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Frank

I am very pleased that Doyle's ABO found an excellent home in your collection.

Henk

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.742 seconds