TOPIC:

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19250

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Here is some analysis of the Paardeberg clasp of the medal posted earlier.

On top of the copy clasp, I have added a correct clasp and sized them to be identical.

In this example, the areas that identify the copy clasp are:

1. The width of the word PAARDEBERG on the copy is much less than the original
2. The letter height on the copy is slightly smaller than on the original
3. Not all the letters on the copy are vertically aligned. Note the P on the lowest image of the copy onto which has been added the 'P' from the original
4. The letters are not so well formed on the copy as they are on on the original. If you compare the letters A. On the copy, the gap between the two vertical lines at the top of the letter is much smaller on the copy
5. The background to the letters looks to be more coarse and in greater relief on the copy than on the original
6. The copy clasp is not quite straight on the horizontal axis suggesting an issue with the alignment of the lugs
7. The height of the face of the copy looks slightly greater than the height of the original
8. The flange around the clasps is not completely regular on the copy

Lastly, we cannot see the rivets on this image but I would guess they would also be incorrect.

The back of the clasp may also reinforce the fact that it is not original.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: pjac49

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19265

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
David

Thanks for this information. As many collectors probably struggle to know the differences, this really helps. Sometimes you look at bars and wonder!!

As for the value, for me if the medal is the one you want, I would make the purchase and be willing, as I have done in the past, to put it back to the original state, obviously with new bars and rivets, but the price paid would reflect that if possible. I have done this with missing bars also, where the price has been reduced or the bar included in the price if the dealer has one.

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19266

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
David

Thank you very much for the quick reply and the wealth of information. I will look at these things with with a much more informed eye from now on.

Patrick

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19267

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Patrick,

You are very welcome. What do you think of the Johannesburg clasp that is on the eBay medal?

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19268

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The real thing would certainly be better! :(

djb wrote: Patrick,

You are very welcome. What do you think of the Johannesburg clasp that is on the eBay medal?

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19269

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
David,

Nice work, have you taken a course in Photoshop ;)

Paul :)

djb wrote: Here is some analysis of the Paardeberg clasp of the medal posted earlier.

On top of the copy clasp, I have added a correct clasp and sized them to be identical.

In this example, the areas that identify the copy clasp are:

1. The width of the word PAARDEBERG on the copy is much less than the original
2. The letter height on the copy is slightly smaller than on the original
3. Not all the letters on the copy are vertically aligned. Note the P on the lowest image of the copy onto which has been added the 'P' from the original
4. The letters are not so well formed on the copy as they are on on the original. If you compare the letters A. On the copy, the gap between the two vertical lines at the top of the letter is much smaller on the copy
5. The background to the letters looks to be more coarse and in greater relief on the copy than on the original
6. The copy clasp is not quite straight on the horizontal axis suggesting an issue with the alignment of the lugs
7. The height of the face of the copy looks slightly greater than the height of the original
8. The flange around the clasps is not completely regular on the copy

Lastly, we cannot see the rivets on this image but I would guess they would also be incorrect.

The back of the clasp may also reinforce the fact that it is not original.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.692 seconds