TOPIC:

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 3 years 10 months ago #69356

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
From Spink, July 2019

QSA (1) Defence of Ladysmith (409 Tpr: E. M. Finlayson. Colonial Scouts.)

Edwin Mitchell Finlayson was born about 1874 and attested for the Colonial Scouts on 9 December 1899; sold with copied roll entry confirming his eligibility for ‘Relief of Ladysmith’ clasp, as opposed to that for the ‘Defence of Ladysmith’.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 3 years 10 months ago #69357

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From Noble Numismatics, April 2020

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (2) Wepener, Relief of Ladysmith (26 Tpr: W.Way. Colonial Scouts.) RoL loose.

William Way enlisted in the Colonial Scouts at Pietermaritzburg on 27 Nov 1899. He was 28 years of age, a solicitor's clerk and lived at Richmond. He discharged on 22 January 1900. The medal roll records that W.Way was awarded the QSA with clasps Wepener and Relief of Ladysmith.

He was not entitled to the Wepener clasp.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 3 years 9 months ago #69591

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The unit naming of Trooper Wood's QSA.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 3 years 4 months ago #73115

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next City Coins auction, November 2020

Rietfontein, 7 July 1900

“Owing to some bad scouting by the I.L.H., Mahon, after marching eight miles unmolested, walked into a trap, prepared for him by the Boers. The I.L.H. retrieved their mistake by two gallant charges up the ridge from which the Boers commanded the column. Nevertheless, Mahon, who was somewhat tardily reinforced by Hutton, was obliged to retire on Rietfontein with a total loss of thirty-five men, which would have been heavier if the Boer shells had been more effective”. Times History, Vol IV, p389

However, Gibson in “The History of the Imperial Light Horse”, p197, emphatically states that: “This account is inaccurate and singularly unfair to the I.L.H., doing poor justice to the gallantry displayed by them that day”.

This is followed by a more than 3-page detailed account of the action and on p201 he concludes “It will be seen from the foregoing that there was no question of ‘Bad Scouting’ or of ‘Walking into a Trap’. The position was that ‘B’ Squadron was ordered to occupy a hill and did their best to do so, but while the Boers supported their Burghers to an extent of some 250 to 400 men, the I.L.H. Squadron received no support and was compelled to fight it out alone against these very great odds.”

QSA (4) Tug H, RoL, CC, Tvl (Tpr. J.H. Harwen. Colonial Scouts). Last two clasps loose on QSA ribbon;
BWM & AVM (Bil) (Pte. J.H. Harwin. 9th S.A.H.)

John Henry Harwin enlisted in the Colonial Scouts at Durban on 29 November 1899. He took part in the operations for the Relief of Ladysmith and was discharged on 12 March 1900. Two days later he attested at Pietermaritzburg in the 1st Imperial Light Horse and was severely wounded in the Rietfontein/Witklip skirmish. He was discharged on 1 January 1901: his service of one day entitled him to a SA’01 clasp which was authorised in May 1904.

On 27 April 1916 Harwin attested in the 9th SA Horse, serving in East Africa as part of the 1st Mounted Brigade. He was diagnosed with malaria on 30 December 1916 and was discharged as “Temporarily medically unfit” in Durban on 7 April 1917.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 3 years 3 months ago #73618

• mark.salter
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
With respect to John Henry Harwin, allow me to share with you a back story. Harwin wrote a diary, which now resides in the Killie Campbell library in Durban under the title An Anonymous Diary by a Trooper of the Imperial Light Horse. It was easy enough to positively identify Harwin as the author, not least by the fact that he refers to himself as No 818 was wounded in the Witklip engagement. However, I found the diary while researching the medals of Tpr William Keith, ILH, holder of the BSACo medal for Rhodesia 1896 (MRF) and the QSA (DoL, RoM, Tvl), which I was fortunate to buy a few years ago. Harwin mentions Keith often, they were mess mates, and they gave each other a hug in the heat of the Witklip battle, thinking they may not make it. Harwin also describes how Keith put on a horse and sent him out of danger as they withdrew. Incidentally, Harwin missed out of the Relief of Mafeking clasp because he was injured when thrown from his horse while in Kimberley. (He rejoined the unit in Lichtenburg). However, he is one of 25 men of the Colonial Scouts to hold the Tugela Heights clasp as he was part of Sir Charles Warren's personal bodyguard. I was fortunate to acquire Harwin's medals, and they sit side by side with those of Keith. Reunited after 120 years. I am also lucky to have the QSA medal to Alexander Shearer, ILH, who was also with Harwin in Warren's bodyguard troop.
Thanks for your wonderful website.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, jim51

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 3 years 3 months ago #73620

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
I acquired the Harwin group in 1975, but was blissfully unaware of the existence of his diary.......
Henk

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.576 seconds