• Page:

TOPIC:

SA 10 years 3 months ago #16997

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1541
Forum members
Some weeks ago I ran across a small "clutch" of QSAs here in Sydney OZ; a previous post looked at the no bar medal to Civilian Nurse Louise BRISTOW from said little hoard. This post looks at a no bar QSA simply impressed to "J.A.WORSLEY" from the same welcome source.
WO100/230 p.252,helpfully included with the medal, records what I think is an unusual amount of info about the ABW activities of the subject official. Full name shown as James Arthur WORSLEY, he is recorded on the roll as having been Veterinary Officer on the transport "Ionia", Naples top Cape Town 10/99-12/99; in charge of mules. Landed 1086 of 1088 (apparently a noteworthy effort). As a matter of interest, the buying of transport mules for the army commenced in Spain, Italy and the US as early as 08/99.
His next entry records him as being appointed Veterinary Officer, Bethulie district, then V.Officer for Bethulie Bridge and Bethulie, ORC (with "sick remount corps" from 10/1900-5/1901. He is next recorded as V.Officer at Norval's Pont and the remount camp from 5/1901-1/1902. A later handwritten entry doubtless made perfect sense to the recording person; however it eludes this writer - "?lost cattle on ?govt forces?". In any case subsequent activity included work at Herschel from 1/1902-6/1902.
Thus perhaps an unusual insight into the activities of a Civilian Official.
A little later, a Google search of James Arthur WORSLEY turned up further information from the "Anglo African Who's Who and biography"; WORSLEY, James Arthur, 10101866-21081914. Born in England, he qualified MRCVS (london) in 1887. In 4/97 he came to SA and joined the Cape Civil Veterinary Dept. On 01011903 he transferred to the CMR in which he remained until 01091907. He then rejoined the CCVDept and in 1908 was District Vet. Surgeon, Butterworth. He died at Prieska on active service on 21081914 whilst serving as a Captain in the SAVC. Has to be the same gentleman. I just wonder why he did not mention his ABW service in his CV.
All in all, a pleasing no bar QSA and quite uncommon here in OZ.
Regards to all for 2014.
IL.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SA 10 years 3 months ago #16998

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2155
What a splendid and most welcome addition to your collection. As you say the paperwork accompanying the medal is a huge bonus and, in most cases, can't be obtained for love or money!

You do realise that you have now to track down his 1914/15 trio - I'll keep my eyes peeled over here for them.

His death notice in the Cape Archives - DEPOT KAB SOURCE MOOC TYPE LEER VOLUME_NO 6/9/762 SYSTEM 01 REFERENCE 2199 PART 1 DESCRIPTION WORSLEY, JAMES ARTHUR. DEATH NOTICE. STARTING 19140000 ENDING 19140000

Confirms the information you have to hand.

Regards

Rory

SA 10 years 3 months ago #16999

• LinneyI
  • Away
Rory
Thanks for your comments. I do indeed wonder if James Arthur WORSLEY would have been entitled to a WW1 trio. My copy of BBM (2006 edition) says that the qualification for the 14/15 star was (for Africa) "for German SW Africa and adjoining areas of the UofSA, 20081914 to 09071915". My geography of that area of SA is not good; so I had a look on map 17 of the Official History and Prieska appears to be on or near the border of what was then British Bechuanaland and nearly 200 miles from what was then GSWA. Happy always to be corrected, of course.
Best regards
IL.

SA 10 years 3 months ago #17000

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2155
Hi IL

I know of instances (one of which is attached) where the Star was issued for service outside of the traditional GSWA border. Although rare, or at least scarce, they do exist.

You might be well served to just have someone check the file in Pretoria. If he didn't receive any then amen to that - you then have a complete "group"

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

SA 10 years 3 months ago #17027

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Ian,

I'm liking this clutch and look forward to the next installment.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

SA 10 years 3 months ago #17051

• LinneyI
  • Away
David
Thanks for the kind words. I will have to delay the third of the "hoard" as I need to do some research on clasps entitlements. No.3 is to a chap in the 1st New South Wales Mounted Rifles and - strangely - such are extremely scarce here in OZ.
Best regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.148 seconds