Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Grandfather born 1857 was in British Army, was he in Boer War? 9 years 5 months ago #23718

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Keni,

His records show Labour Corps so he would not be directly involved in any action.
Although I am not an expert on uniforms this looks like WW1

Paul :)

keni010 wrote: Many thanks for that, surely he'd have been too old as in 1914 he was 57 years of age! Would it be possible to fight in the army at that age? Did the home guard exist and did they have army uniform then? I must have got that number (some years ago) from another R S Snell I suppose. Is there a way of finding his record in one of the Boer wars? Are there any clues with the uniform? Thanks for your help, Keni

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grandfather born 1857 was in British Army, was he in Boer War? 9 years 5 months ago #23719

• keni010
  • keni010's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking at the photograph he does look over 50 don't you think? Perhaps he was in the Labour Corps in WW1 after all. I really appreciate your help. Is there a way of finding where he went whilst enlisted? Keni

Grandfather born 1857 was in British Army, was he in Boer War? 9 years 5 months ago #23721

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Keni,

Yes I do think he is of that age.
I looked at his MIC (medal) card and it shows his entitlement to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, so he must of served out of the UK
There is no entitlement to the Star medal which was only valid to personnel operational abroad between Aug 1914 -Dec 1915
At lot of WW1 service records were destroyed during the blitz in WW2 I am unable to find any service records for Richard.
Good luck with any further research.

Cheers
Paul :)

keni010 wrote: Looking at the photograph he does look over 50 don't you think? Perhaps he was in the Labour Corps in WW1 after all. I really appreciate your help. Is there a way of finding where he went whilst enlisted? Keni

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Grandfather born 1857 was in British Army, was he in Boer War? 9 years 5 months ago #23722

• keni010
  • keni010's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks a lot Coldstream! Keni

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds