TOPIC:

4556 Trooper William John Burgess - Roberts' Horse 7 years 3 months ago #51564

• Marcus Fielding
  • Marcus Fielding's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I have just recently discovered this relative.

The records show that he was a member of Roberts' Horse. www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...ts/464-roberts-horse

But he emigrated to Australia in 1911 and joined the Australian Imperial Force in 1914.

On his AIF application he stated that he had been a member of the East Yorkshire Regiment for 10 years and 272 days and that he had served for 2 years and 8 months in South Africa, as well as Egypt and India.

I can find no other record of his service in South Africa other than the Roberts' Horse link above not of his service in the East Yorkshire Regiment or in Egypt or India.

Is is possible that he also served with the East Yorkshire Regiment in South Africa? www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...t-yorkshire-regiment

Any suggestions on where to research further would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Marcus Fielding

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4556 Trooper William John Burgess - Roberts' Horse 7 years 3 months ago #51588

• BFBSM
  • Thank you received: 12
A record on Forces War Records suggests that 4556 William John Burgess is South African:

First Name: William John
Initials: W
Surname: Burgess
Nationality: South African
Service Number: 4556

www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/444...-army-roberts-horse/

I am looking for details for the East Yorkshire chap.

Mark

4556 Trooper William John Burgess - Roberts' Horse 7 years 3 months ago #51589

• BFBSM
I have found only two records to date for a W Burgess in the 2nd East Yorkshire Regiment:

Name: W Burgess
Campaign or Service: South Africa - Second Boer War
Service Date: 1899-1902
Service Location: South Africa
Regiment or Unit Name: 2nd Battalion East Yorkshire
Regimental Number: 3423

These were for the QSA ( interactive.ancestry.com/1686/31794_2214...Source&usePUBJs=true ) and the KSA ( interactive.ancestry.com/1686/31794_2215...Source&usePUBJs=true ).

Mark

4556 Trooper William John Burgess - Roberts' Horse 7 years 3 months ago #51590

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
He could certainly have served in the British Army and I would think, he is likely to have done so as long as he was old enough, if he stated that he had done so on his AIF papers, I would look at WO126/117-120 to see if his Roberts Horse paper has survived and check if he mentions any prior service there, you would then need to look through, WO97 and WO363 at every man with that particular name, you would not be able to search the latter manually.

Marcus Fielding wrote: Hello,

I have just recently discovered this relative.

The records show that he was a member of Roberts' Horse. www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...ts/464-roberts-horse

But he emigrated to Australia in 1911 and joined the Australian Imperial Force in 1914.

On his AIF application he stated that he had been a member of the East Yorkshire Regiment for 10 years and 272 days and that he had served for 2 years and 8 months in South Africa, as well as Egypt and India.

I can find no other record of his service in South Africa other than the Roberts' Horse link above not of his service in the East Yorkshire Regiment or in Egypt or India.

Is is possible that he also served with the East Yorkshire Regiment in South Africa? www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...t-yorkshire-regiment

Any suggestions on where to research further would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Marcus Fielding

4556 Trooper William John Burgess - Roberts' Horse 7 years 3 months ago #51591

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
This gentleman was actually recalled to the Colours on the and served in South Africa from the 14th of March 1900 until the 26th of August 1902, he in clearly shown on the 2nd Battalions roll in WO100/176 with a note stating 5th Battalion Mounted Infantry.

BFBSM wrote: I have found only two records to date for a W Burgess in the 2nd East Yorkshire Regiment:

Name: W Burgess
Campaign or Service: South Africa - Second Boer War
Service Date: 1899-1902
Service Location: South Africa
Regiment or Unit Name: 2nd Battalion East Yorkshire
Regimental Number: 3423

These were for the QSA ( interactive.ancestry.com/1686/31794_2214...Source&usePUBJs=true ) and the KSA ( interactive.ancestry.com/1686/31794_2215...Source&usePUBJs=true ).

Mark

4556 Trooper William John Burgess - Roberts' Horse 7 years 3 months ago #51592

• BFBSM
The Service Records for 3423 William Burgess of Workington, Cumberland are available on FindMyPast: search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2f...wo97%2f4454%2f527104 .

This shows he enlisted on 10 September, 1891 in Newcastle upon Tyne. He was recalled to service on 20 December, 1899, and reported on 26 December, 1899.

The records show he served in South Africa 1892 - 1893, India 1895 - 1899, and then South Africa 1900 - 1902.

Campaign Medals recorded are for the QSA and the KSA, none are shown for any other theatres or postings.

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.053 seconds