Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

James Kearney 6 years 2 months ago #57626

• findahero
  • findahero's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
My great great grandfather James Kearney, according to records I have found was a Sergeant in the Cape Police. He came to South Africa in November 1882 and had been a soldier in Bermuda as a British subject. He had died before April 1902 and had lived in Kimberley for sometime I presume, I am hoping to find some kind of service record when he was in the Cape police to help me with my search for him. He was also known as Jas Kearney born about 1850 in Ireland.
Wife was Mary Byrne.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

James Kearney 6 years 2 months ago #57639

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I can see a Private J Kearney serving in the Cape Police, District 2 and earning the Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal with clasp Bechuanaland. There are several J Kearneys in the Boer War although not with the Cape Police. There is a J Kearney who served in the Cape Garrison Artillery and later in the Kimberley Light Horse though.

If you contact Adrian, he will be able to obtain his attestation papers for the Cape Police. There is a cost involved in this. Adrian can advise. www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...ice?showall=&start=1

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

James Kearney 6 years 2 months ago #57644

• findahero
Hi David

Thank you so much for that information, I have attached a ship record from 1893 when James and his wife Mary along with their baby son Bernard went to London from the Cape. On the record he says he is a Sgt Cape Police, so maybe that Kearney you mentioned could be him.
Maybe later he went to Kimberley as in an affidavit for his daughter's marriage in April 1902 it states the daughter of the late James Kearney of Kimberley.
I see he is also referred to as Jas Kearney.

I will contact Adrian, hopefully it is the correct Kearney I am trying to search for.

Warm regards
Sharleen

James Kearney 4 years 9 months ago #64863

• findahero
Hi David

It has been a while, since my last request in my search for James Kearney.
I did at that time as you advised contact Adrian he was going to check for records, but I do not recall him coming back to me, however, I have been doing more research since then. From your previous message -
"I can see a Private J Kearney serving in the Cape Police, District 2 and earning the Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal with clasp Bechuanaland"
I am 100% sure this is the James I am looking for, District 2 what area was that in Cape Town. I think the family was living in Maitland round about that time before or after going to Kimberley.
How do I go about getting a copy of this J Kearney records that you mentioned, I am desperate to find any little bit of on information on James Kearney as he is a big mystery with my family research !!!!

Kind Regards
Sharleen Nell

James Kearney 4 years 9 months ago #64887

• findahero
David, I have checked my emails from last year, Adrian had done a search and found records but he was not sure if it was the correct Kearney !!
According to a ship record I have, in 1893 he has stated that he was a Sgt Cape Police, I am not sure if that helps identify him better?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds