Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Missing Records 5 years 7 months ago #59995

• Biddy
  • Biddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Pvt Edward Thomson (Thompson) 5894 Black Watch Reg.Royal Highlanders Boer War, involved in the memorable engagement of Magersfontein, among other Battles.I have search the records everywhere I can think of, it is important to me to show family of the commitment these men gave to their country, and to honour his memory. Please can someone help me to find my Grt Uncle's record re the Boer War. He immigrated to Canada c1913, and fought with the 5th Mounted Rifles Quebec Reg. WW1 Falling on the 2nd 3rd June 1916.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Missing Records 5 years 7 months ago #59996

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Biddy
Welcome to the Forum. I had a quick look in my copy of "The Royal Highland Regiment, The Black Watch" by Stewart and the medal roll for South Africa 1899-1902 shows -
"5894 Pte. Thompson, E, 2nd Bn., RH" and entitled to clasps "Cape Colony", "Transvaal" and "Wittebergen" on his QSA medal. He also qualified for the Kings South Africa medal with clasps "SA 1901" and "SA 1902". There appear to be no further marginal notes on the roll. There is no entry for him in the Casualty rolls.
Have you checked one of the commercial sites for any surviving papers? You might be able to tie down your man's enlistment dates and other details that way.
Good luck with your search.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Biddy

Missing Records 5 years 7 months ago #59997

• Biddy
  • Biddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dearest IL, and you are a dear. All this time, and you have found my Uncle. I will never be able to thank you enough. I will try to find the book you have mentioned to see the written words. Hopefully there will be mention of Magersfontein there. I have, of course, been on the commercial sites but to no avail. Again, I am in your debt.
Thank you, and God Bless

Missing Records 5 years 7 months ago #59998

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hello Biddy...…

Suggest you take a look here...….
www.britishbattles.com/great-boer-war/battle-of-magersfontein/

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Biddy

Missing Records 5 years 7 months ago #59999

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Biddy
Thanks for your kind remarks! Really, there are quite a few extremely helpful regulars on this site and sometimes a little digging can reveal true nuggets. And sometimes just a blank.
The book I mentioned earlier is not all that easy to get; so I took a pic of the relevant page -

As Mike helpfully contributed, there is quite a lot of information on-line and elsewhere about the battle of Magersfontein. The book I mentioned earlier does not say much about it. Do you have any firm knowledge about your man's presence at Magersfontein? Is it mentioned somewhere in family archives?
Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Biddy

Missing Records 5 years 7 months ago #60000

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Biddy

From this site armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/ you can get a pretty good fix on the year he enlisted into the Black Watch.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.641 seconds