Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Henry Hannington - Royal Field Artillery - Boer War? 5 years 5 months ago #61356

• andylewis
  • andylewis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, I'm researching my maternal grandfather Henry Hannington's army history and wonder if anyone can help. I've found out through Ancestry.co.uk that he was in the Royal Field Artillery from 1900 - 1911, then married, had 3 children, and then re-enlisted at age 36 in 1916 in the Army Service Corps and was posted as part of the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force in 1918 (then subsequently had a further 5 children and died in 1941).

It's the RFA years which I can find almost nothing about - apart from the 1911 census showing him living in Minden Barracks, Deepcut as part of 43rd Battery RFA. I'm keen to find out what he did between 1900 and 1911, where he served etc. I can find no census record for him for 1901 which may indicate he was abroad then, possibly in Boer War? However, his name doesn't come up on any search I do on this site.

I'd very grateful if somebody could suggest how I could get more information on this.

Many thanks, Andy Lewis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Henry Hannington - Royal Field Artillery - Boer War? 5 years 5 months ago #61359

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Andy,

I had a look through Boer War index on Ancestry and, while there a few Hanningtons, none look like a good match.

Have you searched FindMypast for any service papers? if they exist, they will give you what you are seeking.

Good luck
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Henry Hannington - Royal Field Artillery - Boer War? 5 years 5 months ago #61360

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Andy,

There are many potential matches on FindMyPast. There is a cost involved in accessing the online records there.

www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sour...ountry=great+britain
Dr David Biggins

Henry Hannington - Royal Field Artillery - Boer War? 5 years 5 months ago #61361

• andylewis
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks, David, for your super quick reply. I'll try FindMyPast as you suggest. Luckily, Hannington is quite an uncommon name so makes searching a little easier.

Regards, Andy

Henry Hannington - Royal Field Artillery - Boer War? 5 years 5 months ago #61365

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Andy

Looks like you found service papers on Ancestry, so when you look on FindmyPast you need to be careful you don't pay for the same set of service papers. Both sites have the same sets of some service papers.

1901 Census - he could easily have been in India, Egypt, Malta, Caribbean or another overseas garrison.

Ancestry have medal rolls for the ABW - if he is not listed there then he didn't serve in the war.

Good luck
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Henry Hannington - Royal Field Artillery - Boer War? 5 years 4 months ago #61374

• andylewis
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks, Meurig. I haven't yet signed up to FindMyPast but will try and check out what you say before doing so.

I couldn't find him on the medal rolls on Ancestry for the ABW but found him on the Royal Hosp Chelsea Pensioner Soldier records though when I tried to see the image it took me off to Fold3 which requires subscribing. Not done that yet but the bare info it gives me on Ancestry tells me his number and regiment 3740/RGA - which I guess means Royal Garrison Artillery

Since I first posted, my mother, aged 93, has managed to find the only photo she has of him - attached. Doing a bit of googling earlier, this certainly looks like an RFA dress uniform, with a white pith helmet - suggesting somewhere hot - e.g. South Africa, Egypt, India. He looks about early 20's in age in the pic so early in his army career. He joined up aged 19 in 1900.

Regards, Andy

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.589 seconds