Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 2 months ago #62269

• Pauldup
  • Pauldup's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I see the confusion. I mean QSA not ABO (as in the boer medal) Sorry for the confusion. I have ammended my initial post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 2 months ago #62270

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
Paul - do you have any named photos iro the Mafeking Siege that you could post here?

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 2 months ago #62272

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Here is the FMP listing plus a mention of a book that he is named in...…

Mike

First name(s) Alfred Henry
Last name Royal
Service number 32733
Rank Private
Regiment Mafeking Town Guard

Other regiments/units Unit: served with Pietersburg Light Horse, Rank: Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant, Number: 32733; Unit: served with Bushveldt Carbineers, Rank: Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant, Number: 233

Rolls WO100/263 page 177; WO100/263 page 191; WO100/283 page 167; WO100/283 page 181

Literary references

The National Archives WO127. Nominal rolls colonial units.;

The Bushveldt Carbineers and the Pietersburg Light Horse. Woolmore, W (Bill). Slouch Hat Publications McRae, Australia. 2002

QSA Clasps: DoM,OFS,T,SA01,SA02
Country Great Britain
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pauldup

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 2 months ago #62328

• Pauldup
After doing a bit more research I stumbled upon a post in the Gentlemens Military Interest club concerning Breaker Morant.
by a member with user name Gam47 gmic.co.uk/topic/59178-breaker-morant-cl...ments#comment-552521
it is rather a long posting but in the notes at the end of the post I found the following.

No MAFEKING RAILWAY VOLUNTEERS........................................................................................................................

NOTE : The writer had in his possession until sold in the early 1980's, a medal pair to Alfred Henry Royal, QSA Medal five clasps DoM, OFS, Tvl, SA01, SA02 named “Mafeking Town Gd” , and British War Medal named “Railway Regt”. Recorded as Engine Driver on the Railway Volunteer's QSA Roll, and also on the Mafeking Town Guard Roll and the QSA recorded as issued off that Roll. Subsequently enlisted Bushveld Carbineers, Cape Town, 6th April, 1901, No. 233, Squadron Quarter Master Sergeant, with former service in Railway Volunteers. He one of those who had fled for his life, and his comprehensive report of atrocities committed by the corps recorded in Captain Beddy's report (see No ). He subsequently served to the war's end as a well respected No.32773 Quarter Master Sergeant, Pietersburg Light Horse. Railway Regiment Great War service in the Union and South West Africa only

So it would seem that My Great Grandfather's (Maternal) medals were sold by the writer of the post in the early 1980"s already.
It would also seem that he was one of the men who "fled for his Life" and reported on the atrocities committed by the Bushveldt Carbineers.

I have in my Posession copies of His marriage certificate giving his address at the time as Mafikeng and occupation as Engine Driver.

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 2 months ago #62514

• Pauldup
Any idea where I could purchase a copy of this publication or at the very least gain a copy of the pages relating to Alfred Henry Royal
The Bushveldt Carbineers and the Pietersburg Light Horse. Woolmore, W (Bill). Slouch Hat Publications McRae, Australia. 2002

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 2 months ago #62517

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Here is the reference from the book, nothing else in index

Attachment not found

Jon

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.626 seconds