Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Neville Claude Thomson, Paget's Horse - suicide on 6.2.1904 4 years 9 months ago #64449

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
POISONED HIMSELF.

Feared Monotony More than Death.
Yesterday, at the Westminster Coroner's-court, Mr. John Troutbeck held an inquiry with reference to the death of Neville Claude Thomson, 24, a stockjobber's clerk, lately residing at Richmond-road, Kingston, who committed suicide at Charing Cross Hotel on Saturday.

Mr. John W. Dais, a stockjobber, identified the deceased as his nephew, and said he was a bachelor. He had been to South Africa as a Volunteer in Paget's Horse, but had never threatened suicide. He was in very good circumstances. He had written to two friends, and the letters might throw some light on the matter.

The Coroner read one of the letters, in which the deceased wrote: - "I fear monotony more than death.....I would rather meet my death like poor old Will. His death was a great blow to me. I am running away from no business troubles, and there is no woman in the case."

Mr. Dais informed the coroner that "Will" referred to in the letter was shot in a trench by the side of Thomson in South Africa.

Francis Thomas, reception clerk at Charing Cross Hotel, stated that on Friday last Thomson engaged a room, and did not seem strange in his manner.

The medical evidence showed that death was due to morphia poisoning.

The jury returned a verdict of "Suicide during temporary insanity."

Evening Express, Thursday 11th February 1904

His birth was registered at Staines, in the third quarter of 1880.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Neville Claude Thomson, Paget's Horse - suicide on 6.2.1904 4 years 9 months ago #64458

• BereniceUK
Was 'Will' likely to be Private William Laskie, k.i.a. 12th December 1900?

Neville Claude Thomson, Paget's Horse - suicide on 6.2.1904 4 years 9 months ago #64460

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
Palmer shows "13315 Pte. W.A.D.Laskie" of 19th I.Y. was Killed in action near Jacobsdal on 12/12/1900. My I.Y. CD shows him as "William Alfred Dixon Laskie" of 68th Coy, 19th Bn., I.Y.
The same I.Y. CD shows "13311 Tpr. N.C.Thomson" also served in 68th Coy., 19th I.Y.
BBM 7th Edition shows 68th Coy I.Y. was one of the Coys. called Paget's Horse of 19th Bn., I.Y.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Neville Claude Thomson, Paget's Horse - suicide on 6.2.1904 4 years 9 months ago #64465

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
William Alfred Dixon Laskie, a twenty two year old, an employee of the Stock Exchange, from Clapham, joined the 68th Company, Imperial Yeomanry on the 10th of February 1900, serving in South Africa from the 16th of March until his death, he is shown as Killed, his next of kin is shown as W A Laskie, Stock Exchange, London, East Central,

BereniceUK wrote: Was 'Will' likely to be Private William Laskie, k.i.a. 12th December 1900?

The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Neville Claude Thomson, Paget's Horse - suicide on 6.2.1904 4 years 9 months ago #64472

• BereniceUK
Thanks for that, Frank. W. A. D. Laskie is named on the London Stock Exchange's ABW memorial.

Neville Claude Thomson, Paget's Horse - suicide on 6.2.1904 4 years 9 months ago #64641

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Watt, notes that he is buried at Zendelings Post and his name appears on memorials at both Jacobsdal and Zeerust.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds