• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: William and Samuel Beckford 11 years 8 months ago #5280

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4559
Keith,

Given the regimental number is the same in both cases, I believe the difference in rank is no more than an administrative error. I would go with the rank on the medal roll as the correct one.

The casualty rolls were notoriously prone to error. In the records, you can see, for example, the initial telegram reporting the lists of wounded on the day of the event and these are often followed by further telegrams amending information given previously. These amendments can be made to the individuals' regimental number, rank, name, type of injury and even which unit they belonged to. To compile the accurate list of wounded must have been a very difficult task.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: William and Samuel Beckford 11 years 8 months ago #5287

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Keith

I have PM'd you

Paul :)

lowe1964 wrote: Hello Paul,

Thanks very much for taking the time to look them up. Pity there is nothing more but i appreciate you looking into it for me. As I said my father did have Samuel's medal but it was stolen years ago and even though i was quite young then it did upset me and will be irreplaceable. One other thing that confused me when i looked at the records listed on this website, it listed william as both pvt and lance corporal and also listed him wounded and then killed on the same date. i can only assume that he died from his wounds on the same day, but could you possibly tell me how he went from pvt to lance corporal? i wasn't aware that he also involved in the sudan campaign or that samuel is listed in a different section with his entitlement. is this something i can also look at and if so, could you tell me how i would go about it? sorry to bombard you with questions, but i am just very interested (and proud) that my great grandfather and great great uncle were involved in these military campaigns.

thanks very much

keith lowe

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: William and Samuel Beckford 11 years 8 months ago #5288

• lowe1964
  • lowe1964's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my questions and taken the time to assist me with my research. I very much appreciate all the advice and information you have given me.

Thank you

Keith Lowe

Re: William and Samuel Beckford 11 years 8 months ago #5289

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455
Hello Keith

The rank anomaly for William is as David explained not uncommon. Lance-Corporal is an appointment (unpaid) not a rank and therefore it would not be uncommon for a Private to given the Lance-Corporal's stripe but still be officially recorded as a Private - especially in the midst of a war.

As already noted the casualty rolls are error prone - especially that for the Natal campaign (Spion Kop etc..). These errors have been copied by Ancestry.

In the case of William it is wrong and inaccurate. I have compiled a corrected casualty roll ( www.boerwarregister.com - also on FindmyPast). There it shows William wounded at Spion Kop (24 Jan) and that he died of wounds 3 Feb at Mooi River, Natal, where he is buried.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: William and Samuel Beckford 11 years 8 months ago #5291

• lowe1964
  • lowe1964's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Meurig,

Thanks very much for the fascinating information you have given me. This certainly explains everything and as you say, it must have been easy to have made recording mistakes in the midst of a war. It is interesting to know that he died a little while later due to the wounds he received while at Spion Kip. Also good to know where he is buried as I would otherwise have never had a clue, so thank you very much indeed.

Kind regards

Keith Lowe

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.631 seconds