Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: The Battle of Holkrans 10 years 2 months ago #17643

• Theo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Iain,
I recently saw a program on DSTV on the battle of Islandawana. The subject was British personnel writing home after visiting the battle weeks or months after the battle and found all the bodies untouched, non disembowelled all just as they had fallen.I have always understood that it was the Zulu custom to disembowel their opponents to release thei spirits. Regarding the two boys I cannot confirm that these were the same ones that were captured. I met the old guy's daughter and there is a policeman who was the station commander in Edenvale, Oskar Pratt (he also played rugby for Eastern Transvaal)Oskar is the correct spelling.I am trying to locate him.Get hold of a book called "Marching over Africa" by Frank Emery. This is a collection of letters from Victorian soldiers and throws a new light on a lot of the Boer war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: The Battle of Holkrans 10 years 2 months ago #17646

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Theo,

the book, "The Red Soldiers" is also by Frank Emery and he uses letters written by soldiers as the backbone of his book. Yes, possibly the letters were edited at the time, however, I'm sure you have to admit, that with the Band Boys and there were 5 in all, there is a good possibility they were used for Muti.
It would be interesting if someone had further knowledge of Holkrans as to whether the bodies were disemboweled. The scene was supposed to have been horrific, even to battle hardened Commandos. There is an incident of a Burgher being found alive, holding in his entrails.

Iain

Theo wrote: Hi Iain,
I recently saw a program on DSTV on the battle of Islandawana. The subject was British personnel writing home after visiting the battle weeks or months after the battle and found all the bodies untouched, non disembowelled all just as they had fallen.I have always understood that it was the Zulu custom to disembowel their opponents to release thei spirits. Regarding the two boys I cannot confirm that these were the same ones that were captured. I met the old guy's daughter and there is a policeman who was the station commander in Edenvale, Oskar Pratt (he also played rugby for Eastern Transvaal)Oskar is the correct spelling.I am trying to locate him.Get hold of a book called "Marching over Africa" by Frank Emery. This is a collection of letters from Victorian soldiers and throws a new light on a lot of the Boer war.

The Battle of Holkrans 10 years 2 months ago #17717

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
As an addendum to this - I am negotiating for the ABW medal to Burger PJ Fourie of the Vryheid Commando (It was claimed in 1923).

One of the few survivors and one of the two, Pratt being the other, who unveiled the tombstone of remembrance 60 years later.

If successful I'll post the story and images to add to this great thread.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: iaindh

The Battle of Holkrans 10 years 2 months ago #17718

• Theo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Rory ,
Thanks for the interesting information. I don't think these were the boys that were carried off as Francis Barry Pratt was 91 years old when I contacted him in 1973. That would make him about 18 years old. One wonders how the two survived the massacre ? Internet certainly makes it a lot easier to research now days. I came across an interesting piece "The Col. Bottomly incident" This describes a Col. totally contrary to orders encouraging the Zulu to take up arms and invade the Boers carrying off some 10,000 head of cattle prior to the Holkrans massacre.

The Battle of Holkrans 10 years 3 weeks ago #19095

• Boertjie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
23 March 1902
General Bruce Hamilton orders King Dinizulu with a Zulu army of 250 warriors to accompany him on a sortie into the Vryheid district to loot Boer cattle. A local chief Sikhobobo also joins the force.

26 March 1902 The Zulus at Nqutu and Nkandla are issued with 100 rifles and ammunition by the British. The British are deliberately manoeuvring to force the Zulus to fight in their war.
The cattle looting expedition by General Bruce Hamilton, King Dinizulu and Chief Sikhobobo arrive back at Vryheid. 2 Boers have been killed, 1 taken prisoner and 1000 head of cattle have been looted. King Dinizulu receives 100 head of cattle and is ordered to return to his kraal. Chief Sikhobobo and his impi refuse to leave Vryheid for fear of Boer reprisals.
This eventually lead to the retaliation of the Vryheid Commando on the Abaqulsi stronghold

The Battle of Holkrans 10 years 3 weeks ago #19096

• Boertjie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
23 March 1902
General Bruce Hamilton orders King Dinizulu with a Zulu army of 250 warriors to accompany him on a sortie into the Vryheid district to loot Boer cattle. A local chief Sikhobobo also joins the force.

26 March 1902 The Zulus at Nqutu and Nkandla are issued with 100 rifles and ammunition by the British. The British are deliberately manoeuvring to force the Zulus to fight in their war.
The cattle looting expedition by General Bruce Hamilton, King Dinizulu and Chief Sikhobobo arrive back at Vryheid. 2 Boers have been killed, 1 taken prisoner and 1000 head of cattle have been looted. King Dinizulu receives 100 head of cattle and is ordered to return to his kraal. Chief Sikhobobo and his impi refuse to leave Vryheid for fear of Boer reprisals.

This eventually lead to the retaliation of the Vryheid Commando on the Abaqulusi stronghold

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds