• Page:

TOPIC:

Wittebergen 9 years 5 months ago #23049

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
A nice image of what a single clasp Wittebergen would look like.

This QSA to 2378 Pte. J. Sheridan, Leins. Regt. is missing CC & Tr and KSA (2).

Picture courtesy of DNW
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wittebergen 4 years 4 months ago #66616

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (1) Wittebergen (Guide J. W. Archbell. F.I.D.) officially re-impressed naming.

The Wittebergen clasp is listed on the FID roll WO100/201p31 with no other clasps identified.

There is a query on whether this man served in the Harrismith VLH, number 105.

The Archbell on the Harrismith roll (WO100/281p163) has initial F and the clasps OFS and SA01. A note says the SA02 clasp was recovered as he was not entitled. There is nothing on the HVLH roll to link the two.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Wittebergen Single Clasp to Alfred Carter Gibbins / Gibbons 6 months 1 week ago #92092

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi

Hibbard states that the single clasp QSA with the Wittebergen clasp to a South African unit is of the highest rarity. The FID roll by David Buxton (2004) states that there are only 11 awarded to the FID.

Alfred Carter Gibbins (or Gibbons) is one such recipient, awarded a QSA single clasp and KSA 2 clasp.

In February 1900 he wrote an affadavit as follows:

I, Alfred Carter Gibbons, at present residing at Durban, Natal, take oath and say:—

That I was in the service of the Government of the Orange Free State, as Chief Constable and gaoler at Bethlehem.
That I have never taken the oath of allegiance to the Government of the Free State, nor have I ever become a burgher of the Orange Free State, but have always remained a British subject.
That on or about November 13th, 1899. the Landdrost of Bethlehem, R. N. A. Rosenzweig, informed me that it was not considered advisable to retain a British subject in office as gaoler and suggested that I should resign.
That after carefully considering the matter, I declined to resign, but expressed my willingness to accept my dismissal at the end of that month.
That immediately upon my dismissal I applied to the Landdrost for a passport to leave the country, which the Landdrost refused to grant, but at the same time promised that no British subject would be commandeered, at the same time informing me that no complaint had been made against me and that after the war I might expect to be reinstated in my position as Chief Constable and gaoler.
That on the 28th day of December, 1899, I was ordered by B. de Lange, Acting Field-Cornet of Bethlehem, to appear on the 2nd January, 1900, before the Court House at 9 a.m., with horse, saddle, bridle, rifle, ammunition and provisions, ready to start for Colesberg, to fight with the Boers.
That on the night of December 31st, I made my escape through the Caledon into Basutoland, having to leave wife, family, and property behind.

A. C. GIBBONS.

Thus done and sworn before me, at Durban, on this, the 20th day of February. 1900.
B. W. GREENACRE, J.P.

Gibbins was recommended for an award twice, on 11/08/1901 and 20/05/1902 but none were granted.

The recommendation is as follows:

Gibbins, A C, Chief Interpreter & Guide
Has been in the Department since 11th May 1900- he has been my right hand man in every way since September 1900. He has carried out every duty assigned to him whether under fire or on secret police duty in towns with zeal and discretion, and with an honest devotion to duty and not to self interest. Mr Gibbins served in the Zulu War of 1879 in the 58th Regiment and has the medal and clasp for that campaign. Before the war he was Gaoler and acting Sheriff of Bethlehem.

Interestingly, Guide W. Forbes of the FID, was similarly recommended for an award on the same dates, relating to a raid under Captain Sir John Sinclair of the IY, when they surprised Veld Cornet Y Blignaut and nine Boers, killing four and wounding five. He received an MID.

He married Emma Frances Avery, and had 1 son and 2 daughters. (Edith Blanche Gibbins, b 13 June 1896, d 4 Nov 1963)

Kind regards

Adrian
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Jordi, LinneyI, azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Wittebergen Single Clasp to Alfred Carter Gibbins / Gibbons 6 months 6 days ago #92115

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Adrian
A very nice pair. As a matter of interest, your man's SAGS for the 58th Regt. is confirmed with clasp "1879" under "Pte. Gibbons. A" and his number is shown in the book "Forgotten Heroes" as 29B/267. If you have not already done so, a PRO search might unearth more bio detail.
The Buxton FID roll index only shows your man with a page 8 entry and no cross reference to a roll. For all its usefulness, to back up the Buxton roll it sometimes needs a page-by-page check of the medal actual roll (WO100/301) and there he is on Page 26 with his single clasp "Wittebergen". The roll page is noted "Intelligence Dept., Harrismith" and there is no marginal note..
From researching of similar items in my current custody, it appears that some ID/FID were initially granted the OFS clasp and later changed to "Wittebergen". Not so in your man's case, however.
I have long had an interest in NCoG, ID and FID medals and the men who earned them and your QSA/KSA pair is very nice example indeed.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian123456

Wittebergen 6 months 6 days ago #92117

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2120
Posted in error

Wittebergen 6 months 6 days ago #92119

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2120

djb wrote:

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (1) Wittebergen (Guide J. W. Archbell. F.I.D.) officially re-impressed naming.

The Wittebergen clasp is listed on the FID roll WO100/201p31 with no other clasps identified.

There is a query on whether this man served in the Harrismith VLH, number 105.

The Archbell on the Harrismith roll (WO100/281p163) has initial F and the clasps OFS and SA01. A note says the SA02 clasp was recovered as he was not entitled. There is nothing on the HVLH roll to link the two.

I have this fellows medal www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...neral-hamilton#68253

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.908 seconds