Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51388

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Do you know when he was born, you see why I ask, you needed to look a certain age, even if you were not to have served in the war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51389

• Recce60
  • Recce60's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

Frank Kelley wrote: Do you know when he was born, you see why I ask, you needed to look a certain age, even if you were not to have served in the war.

On his Canadian Army Attestation paper he stated he was born May 19th, 1880.

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51393

• Frank Kelley
Okay then, well, as I said. not many possible candidates, so I would suggest 9873 Private "Charlie" Ashton, who joined the Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry at Cardiff on the 12th of January 1900, he was born in Cardiff in 1880 and interestingly, attested on a one year engagement, with actual service in South Africa, with their IY Provisional Battalion from 28th of February to the 11th of June that year and was subsequently discharged at his own request on the 26th of October 1900, his papers mention he had been wounded.

I think, perhaps I should add, the above certainly lends itself rather well to the photograph in your original post, the subject of which, in my opinion, is not a member of the Cavalry.

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51396

• Recce60
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

Frank Kelley wrote: Okay, well I would suggest 9873 Private "Charlie" Ashton, who joined the Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry at Cardiff on the 12th of January 1900, he was born in Cardiff in 1880 and interestingly, attested on a one year engagement, with actual service in South Africa, with the IY Provisional Battalion from 28th of February to the 11th of June that year and was subsequently discharged at his own request on the 26th of October 1900, his papers mention he had been wounded.

Wow! Thank you. Probably him! Any suggestion how might I go about getting "his papers" or can one get them? Interesting is that a number of his relatives, and mine, still live in the Glamorgan area of Cardiff.
Still need to research the 11th Hussars area. However, now I know he did serve in South Africa and was wounded for the first time. The wounding has never been discussed or mentioned.
Regards

Robert Ashton

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51397

• Frank Kelley
If you know his next of kin details, we can actually resolve this now, he signs as "Charlie" Ashton and gives his next of kin as his mother "E" Ashton at number 7 Brook Street, Riverside, Cardiff.
This man's papers are in WO128.
Attachments:

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51399

• Recce60
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

Frank Kelley wrote: If you know his next of kin details, we can actually resolve this now, he signs as "Charlie" Ashton and gives his next of kin as his mother "E" Ashton at number 7 Brook Street, Riverside, Cardiff.
This man's papers are in WO128.

Yes, the "E" is for my great grandmother, Elizabeth. Elizabeth and Roger Ashton ran a very successful business in Cardiff. The business was in operation under the name E. Ashton; however, the last family member sold it in the 1970s and the "E" dropped from the title and is just known as "Ashton's". It is still in business and is located in the Central Market, Cardiff.

As far as the address goes perhaps it was that in early 1900's. However, when I visited Cardiff a number of years ago a cousin took me to a couple of places where the family lived but i did not take down any addresses. However, the places were all in the Glamorgan area of Cardiff.

Robert

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.591 seconds