Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51406

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I actually did not see him on the published casualty roll, I often use the wretched "phone book" thing, purely for speed, but, quite frankly, you can't really argue the case as WO128 is very clear indeed, interestingly, because his service, actually on the veldt, was so short, the entry in respect of Campaigns above also certainly makes for interesting reading too.

So I would suggest he was wounded in a skirmish at Thaba Nchu near Ladybrand, there are a number of members on here who have a special interest in the Imperial Yeomanry and perhaps will offer their thoughts in due course.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51408

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Robert
His QSA medal with clasps "Cape Colony" and "Transvaal" is on the first page of the roll for the 4th Coy., Ist IY Bn. WO100/120. His forename is shown as just "C". Number is 9873. There is a marginal note regarding his service in the Imperial Hospital Corps (no Number). There is an issue date of 13/3/12.
You can access this record yourself by going to the section regarding downloads from the National Archives and navigating your way through.
Regards
IL.

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51409

• Recce60
  • Recce60's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

LinneyI wrote: Robert
His QSA medal with clasps "Cape Colony" and "Transvaal" is on the first page of the roll for the 4th Coy., Ist IY Bn. WO100/120. His forename is shown as just "C". Number is 9873. There is a marginal note regarding his service in the Imperial Hospital Corps (no Number). There is an issue date of 13/3/12.
You can access this record yourself by going to the section regarding downloads from the National Archives and navigating your way through.
Regards
IL.

thank you. I went to the national Archives and tried every variation I could think of to try and find the info you put in your letter. I keep getting no result.

Very confused.

Cheers
Robert

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51412

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Yes, it can be hard to use unless you do it a fair bit.
Attachments:

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51413

• Frank Kelley
It is certainly interesting when I look back to my original thoughts based solely on this mans name, WO100/249 confirms beyond all possible doubt Charles Roger Ashton and Charlie Ashton are one and the same, he served in the Imperial Hospital Corps from the 20th of May 1901 until the 9th of October that same year, when he was discharged unfit.
As I suggested in my original post in this thread, a look in WO126/52-54 at Kew would be the way to go next, in addition, the supplementary volume in WO100/249 confirms the issue of the South Africa 1901 clasp on the 22nd of February 1912 to him at number 226 Princess Street, Winnipeg Manitoba.

Do you know when he left Great Britain for Canada?

Regarding the wounds, I would think they were incurred in April 1900, there were certainly some hot engagements around the Ladybrand area at that point in time.

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51415

• Frank Kelley
Detail from WO100/249 regarding his South Africa 1901 clasp.
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.672 seconds