Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My granddad Walter Edward Lawson - 2nd battalion Dragoons 3874 1 month 2 weeks ago #94451

• chrislawson
  • chrislawson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello there,
I'm so glad I found this site. What an amazing resource thankyou. I was left my granddad's medals and I wanted to do them justice and have been researching them. He died in 1951 and info on his life was sketchy but the medals were definitely his. I've done some detective work and found his World War 1 records partly via his medal records . He was 43 at the time so joined the Royal Fusiliers: 13648 ( I love the fact that they were described as the "Old and the Bold".) But I've been struggling to trace his military career further back. I found a few W. Lawson with medals from the Boer war and I "think" this one is my grandad's record. There were about 3 W Lawson's in the Boer war but not all of the clasps match exactly but the majority do and more match on this record than any of the other W. E. Lawson's I also was told he was in the cavalry and I believe the Dragoons were cavalry? I would LOVE to find out more or try and confirm these details. I'd also love to find out other sources. I've used Ancestry and Fold 3 to get to this stage, but now looking to the experts. Thanks everyone for your help in advance. Chris Ps is it dragoons or dragoon guards?
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My granddad Walter Edward Lawson - 2nd battalion Dragoons 3874 1 month 2 weeks ago #94452

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1540
Chrislawson
Assuming that the Boer War medals you have illustrated are named to "3874 Tpr. W.Lawson. 2nd Dragoons" and you have had a link to the man, then your GF served with one of the most famous mounted regiments in the British army, the Second Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys). I looked him up on Cavalry CD and four of his QSA medal clasps are confirmed - but not that for Belfast. A quick look on the medal roll (WO100/144) agrees with the CD. Perhaps your GF was retrospectively awarded the Belfast clasp. Something for you to research. BTW, your GF is not shown as being a casualty during 1899-1902.
If you go to the Unit Information in the Main Menu (at left), and search for the 2Dragoons, that will give you a potted history of the activities of the Scots Greys during the Boer War.
Perhaps you would profit by conducting a search on one or other of the commercial sites for your GF's personal papers if they still exist.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrislawson

My granddad Walter Edward Lawson - 2nd battalion Dragoons 3874 1 month 2 weeks ago #94516

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Chrislawson

Welcome to the forum.
Can I ask a quick question please?
Where was your Grandfather born? Also, what details are engraved around the Queens South Africa and King's South Africa medal?
Many thanks

Dave.........

PS....was Walter married to Ada Mary? and did he have a son called Charles?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrislawson

My granddad Walter Edward Lawson - 2nd battalion Dragoons 3874 1 month 2 weeks ago #94538

• chrislawson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for that taking the time to reply , so school boy error but because I was working off the photos I didn't realised that they were inscribed!

So the Boer war medals are regiment 3506 and say 2nd Dragoons and W Lawson but that obviously doesn't match up to the record I found?

I've attached the inscriptions and also the Royal Fuselier WW1 medal as well.

Any insights would be amazing!
Thanks
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

My granddad Walter Edward Lawson - 2nd battalion Dragoons 3874 1 month 2 weeks ago #94539

• chrislawson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi David

I was saying just now that I have made a bit of a discovery

Thanks for that taking the time to reply , so school boy error but because I was working off the photos I didn't realised that they were inscribed!

So the Boer war medals are regiment 3506 and say 2nd Dragoons and W Lawson but that obviously doesn't match up to the record I found? I don't have access to find out whether there is a record matching that one?

In terms of personal history, No I don't thiink he had a son Charles , but sons Andrew, Brian (my dad) Terry and wife Lilly , although he was married before. Born in London I believe.

Any insights or help would be amazing!
Thanks
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Smethwick

My granddad Walter Edward Lawson - 2nd battalion Dragoons 3874 1 month 2 weeks ago #94540

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Chris
Many thanks for the update. I will get back to you this afternoon . I have some additional information for you.

Regards

Dave.

PS....The naming around the medals look like they were inscribed by a novice jeweler. It is very possible that the clasp configuration is wrong. I will explain later.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.497 seconds