Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA to the Dundee Town Guard - WJ Cross - Chief Magistrate 9 years 4 months ago #24227

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2158
I have acquired the QSA with clasp Talana to W.J. Cross issued off the roll of the Dundee Town Guard.

What makes Cross so enticing is that he was the man who sentenced Mohatma Ghandi to a fine or imprisonment in 1913 for inducing immigrants to leave the province of Natal.

He was also the chief interpreter during the trial of Dinizulu at the time of the Bambatha Rebellion of 1906.

John William Cross (his names appear to have bene interchangeable) was quite a luminary for his time.

If anyone has any additional info on him I should be very grateful.

Regards

Rory

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to the Dundee Town Guard - WJ Cross - Chief Magistrate 9 years 4 months ago #24229

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Rory......

OMG another great find I don't know how you do it...... :ohmy:

Sorry I cannot give you any information though.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

QSA to the Dundee Town Guard - WJ Cross - Chief Magistrate 9 years 4 months ago #24240

• absentminded beggar
  • Thank you received: 11
Mr Rory,Sir...

Looks a bit thin round 5-6 o'c rim don't U think?

Amb
"The greatness of a nation consists not so much in the number of it's people or the extent of it's territory as in the extent and justice of its compassion"

QSA to the Dundee Town Guard - WJ Cross - Chief Magistrate 9 years 4 months ago #24243

• Rory
  • Away
Hello ABM

I think, in this instance, it is truly a case of the "angle of the dangle" or more to the point my inability to photograph correctly.

I have scrutinised the rim and it doesn't appear to have bene tampered with. It came via a reputable auction house and from the hnads of a reputable collector (I seem to eb using that word quite a bit)

I'll provide photos of the rim anon.

Regards

Rory

QSA to the Dundee Town Guard - WJ Cross - Chief Magistrate 9 years 4 months ago #24244

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Rory
The "thin at 5-6 o/c" aspect was canvassed earlier in another post. As I said sometime earlier, that appearance of the obverse can be the result of a slight die flaw; the opinion of one of the local experts. The vernier used to measure the medal's diameter over several places will tell all. As well, a view of the reverse inevitably will show no "thinness" if the diameters are OK.
I once had a QSA bar Talana to the DTG. Now I have one to the Dundee Rifle Association; H.T.BROWN - about whom I found out very little!
Regards
IL.

QSA to the Dundee Town Guard - WJ Cross - Chief Magistrate 9 years 4 months ago #24246

• Rory
  • Away
Thank you for that input Linneyl

Despite having the most modern of cameras I am spectacularly bad at taking photos...

Herewith a few

Regards

Rory

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.180 seconds