Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Intombi 10 years 7 months ago #14294

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
It looks like you arrived there while there was still just enough daylight left. The setting sun gives a wonderful ambiance to the pictures.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Intombi 10 years 7 months ago #14298

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Wazat

Thank you for an excellent series of photographs. I am very grateful for those on which H C Gorton is commemorated. Since acquiring Gorton's QSA, I have tried in vain to find pictures of Intombi that show his grave/memorial. Recently, I was told that it is no longer safe to visit the cemetery because of its neighbours, so you were wise to leave before darkness set in.

Regards
Brett

Intombi 10 years 7 months ago #14315

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I agree with David and Brett, they are very good photos and I suppose they show this place to be much like I had perceived it to be in my own mind, welcome to this forum too.

djb wrote: It looks like you arrived there while there was still just enough daylight left. The setting sun gives a wonderful ambiance to the pictures.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wazat

Intombi 10 years 7 months ago #14325

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 350
One of my "Indians" was buried in plot 626 on the 19th March 1900 at Intombi. 622 3rd Gd Cook Francis of the Madras Army Hospital Corps. He was a Catholic. Any chance that his grave survives and that you have a photograph?
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Intombi 10 years 7 months ago #14336

• wazat
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5

David Grant wrote: One of my "Indians" was buried in plot 626 on the 19th March 1900 at Intombi. 622 3rd Gd Cook Francis of the Madras Army Hospital Corps. He was a Catholic. Any chance that his grave survives and that you have a photograph?

Hi David, I'm afraid after a search through the memorial I could only find one person with the name S Cook from the Devonshire Regiment. There was a memorial with the Medical Corps but i only got one side of it.

Intombi 10 years 7 months ago #14337

• wazat
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5

Brett Hendey wrote: Wazat

Thank you for an excellent series of photographs. I am very grateful for those on which H C Gorton is commemorated. Since acquiring Gorton's QSA, I have tried in vain to find pictures of Intombi that show his grave/memorial. Recently, I was told that it is no longer safe to visit the cemetery because of its neighbours, so you were wise to leave before darkness set in.

Regards
Brett

Not sure how i missed this the first time but..... :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, David Grant

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.509 seconds