Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Intombi 9 years 7 months ago #22261

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
David

I was there in October 1999 and have a number of photo's with many of the metal crosses that were there. True, there were as many blanks as crosses, but many were there.

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Intombi 9 years 7 months ago #22278

• Glosterboy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you both for your informative replies. I'm planning to visit Ladysmith during March 2015. And as long as there are no local issues (squatters etc.) I'll visit Intombi Cemetery. I'll then be able to ascertain exactly the current general state of the cemetery and individual graves. I'll then update this particular topic accordingly. There being numerous graves of British soldiers within the cemetery, likewise there must be numerous forum users whereby an ancestor's of theirs, within the cemetery is their final resting place. Mike.

Intombi 9 years 7 months ago #22313

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246

Doug wrote: David

I was there in October 1999 and have a number of photo's with many of the metal crosses that were there. True, there were as many blanks as crosses, but many were there.

Doug.

This is very interesting, not to say intriguing, Doug. I don't doubt what you say for a minute but there were definitely no metal crosses when I went there. I took loads of photos on each visit and the first time also took a list of 'my' men who were buried at Intombi only to be disappointed that there were no grave markers for them or any other British other ranks.

I was told locally about the reason there weren't any as I posted earlier. However, my last visit was in 1998, over a year before you were there, and I can only assume that at least some of the missing crosses were found in the meantime and re-introduced to the cemetery. That's the only explanation I can come up with anyway. The only one of 'my' men (whose QSA I had acquired just before my last visit) whose grave I found was Tpr. Saunders of the ILH who died of wounds sustained at Wagon Hill. The gravestones of the ILH men buried at Intombi are set in a modern brick wall construction as per the photo I posted some time ago. Most intriguing!

David

Intombi 3 years 2 months ago #74775

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
The burial ground at Intombi.

Source: Forbes' 19th Century Battles
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Intombi 3 years 1 month ago #75159

• ClareAH
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Is there any copyright on these photographs? (or has it expired?) Kind regards Clare

Intombi 3 years 4 days ago #76086

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
A picture from the collection of Rick Bisaccia showing Alfred Norris at Intombi.

The picture is very reminiscent of this image; www.angloboerwar.com/forum/6-places/3004-intombi?start=6#12230
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.690 seconds