• Page:

TOPIC:

A E Smith - 108 Battery Royal Field Artillery 9 years 4 months ago #24162

• mchalet
  • mchalet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like any help available regarding my Grandfather Albert Edward Smith.

I have Grandfather's service Bible/Prayer Book wherein I gained his regiment - Royal Field Artillery and noted the Bible was presented to Grandfather in Bloemfontein in August of 1900.

Preliminary research has turned up Grandfather's original Short Service Attestation papers which confirm that he signed up for the Royal Artillery on 31st May 1898 and that his service number was 28149. I presume that he spent the interval between signing up and arriving in Bloemfontein in training and travelling(?).

Mother always said that Grandfather died in the final months of WW1 and this appears to be consistent with my research but he appears to have had a different service number during WW1 - M2/265833. If this is correct I have the details of his death and subsequent burial at Hedauville Communal Cemetery.

Can anyone provide any additional information about 108 Battery RFA during their tour(s) in South Africa and Actions they participated in? Also, can anyone confirm if enlisted personel did change service numbers between the Boer War and WW1 and how I can confirm Grandfathers progression between the wars.

I have a victorian framed portrait of Grandfather in uniform which is currently being restored but will try to upload when I have it returned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A E Smith - 108 Battery Royal Field Artillery 9 years 4 months ago #24164

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello

The service records show he was discharged from "Colour Service" in 1906 after eight years, he was automatically transferred to the reserve to complete 12 years. In 1910 when his 12 years service was complete he signed on for a further four years on the reserve, this expired in May 1914.

AE Smith M2/265833 served with the Army Service Corps. If they are the same man then the different service number is explained because he had left the Army and rejoined with a different unit. Not unusual.

Medal rolls show three different units on three pages: 20 battery, 7 Division Ammunition Column and 108 btty. 108 btty did not serve in the war, the reason there is a medal roll entry for him with this unit is that when this particular roll was prepared (1905) he was serving with 108 battery.

You need to research the history of 20 btty and 7 Div Amm column. The clasps he earned - Paardeberg, Johannesburg, Cape Colony & SA 1901 give leads to research; Paardeberg was a major battle.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

A E Smith - 108 Battery Royal Field Artillery 9 years 4 months ago #24205

• mchalet
  • mchalet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks Meurig, your information will, I'm sure, prove most helpful with my search. I know it's not strictly within the remit of this forum but could you perhaps suggest where I might obtain Grandfather's re-enlistment papers for WW1 to check if the connection is correct?

Regards
Terry

A E Smith - 108 Battery Royal Field Artillery 9 years 4 months ago #24206

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Terry

Try Ancestry.co.uk and Findmypast.co.uk

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.550 seconds