Hounsom 12 years 4 months ago #1490

• Josey
  • Josey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello
I am new here and have 2 queries.
I am trying to get information on my great grandfather.
His name was Charles Herbert HOUNSOM and he was born in 1878, Surrey, England.
I have him on census in 1901 in an army barracks.
He came over as part of the Military police with the British soldiers for the Boer war so this must have been in 1901 or 1902.
I think his regiment number was 2533 with the Natal police?

I really know nothing except that he came as a military policemen. Is there any way of confirming the information above?

I have a second query - FB Fynney is my great great grandfather and I know he applied for a medal in 1881 for his service during the Zulu war. Does anyone know if he was awarded a medal?

Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Josey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hounsom 12 years 4 months ago #1492

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
2533 Tpr. C.H. Hounson appears on the Natal Police roll (14 January 1907) for the Queen's South Africa Medal. His medal is listed with South Africa 1901 & South Africa 1902 clasps (but all SA 1902 clasps were cancelled on this return for the NP) and it indicates that his medal had not been issued at an earlier date on another roll (Seems he got QSA with SA 1901 clasp). That would seem to confirm his serving in the Natal Police sometime during the period 1901-1902. His name does not appear in any of the earlier rolls starting in September 1901. I guess he joined sometime in the second half of 1901.

I can't find anything for FB Fynney for the Zulu War. How do you know he applied for the medal? Do you have details as this might help in narrowing the search to a particular unit etc.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Hounsom 12 years 4 months ago #1493

• Josey
  • Josey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Mark,
Thank you for that! Do you know where else I can look to try and find out where Hounsom served in the police e.g. what district etc.

FB Fynney was not in the British army but was the interpreter to Cetshwayo and gave him the ultimatum. I see that there is a record at the archives that he applied for a medal in 1881 but do not know if it was granted as I have not seen the original application.

regards
Jo

Re: Hounsom 12 years 4 months ago #1502

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Jo, to try find out more on Hounson you would likely have to go digging amongst the NP papers in the Natal Archives and Killie Campbell Library. I'll look out for his name when I'm going through NP material. Here's a link to the history of the Police:
www.archive.org/details/mountedpoliceofn00holtrich

I know exactly which Fred Fynney you are referring to now. I can tell you that my great great grandfather [Insp Fred Campbell, NMP] was an acquaintance of your great great grandfather. Apart from his work as a Border Agent and interpreter Fred Fynney allegedly led the Border Police at one point during the War. I can't find his name on the medal roll which considering who he was is strange. I'm searching digitally and it is possible that his name has been misspelled in the digital transcription process. Perhaps some other member might know where to locate him on the roster. I'll keep looking and see if I can find anything.

Cheers,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds