Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Barnshaw 12 years 5 months ago #1508

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
Hi,
I just bought a medal to 31 Scout AEL Barnshaw of the FID. As usual I do'nt start doing much research until the medal is bought. Now looking through this site, I see that he is not listed on the roll!!
Is the roll complete?
ATB
David
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Barnshaw 12 years 5 months ago #1513

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi David, I had a look at a copy of the FID roll for him and what a mess the FID rolls are. Just pages and pages of notes and returns from various scattered FID men from all over and in no apparent order that I could make out. Hardly any numbers listed at all. The sections for the natives were the worst and seem to be just single names mostly: Piet I, Piet II, Piet III etc for example. There was even a handwritten note on one page saying 'other FID men listed in file 295.' I presume that is WO 100/295. If so that's amongst the New Zealand forces. My feeling after looking at the muddle which are the FID rolls is he is likely in there somewhere but who knows where amongst those hundreds of pages.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Barnshaw 12 years 5 months ago #1515

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Morning David,

There is no Barnshaw listed in the Ancestry index for the QSA but I would echo Mark's comments about the FID roll. I did a few other searches such as Barn* without success.

There is also the roll for the FID which I have never seen a copy of. The author is Buxton and the details I have are that it was published by Jedburgh Limited, 3 Cobden Mews, 90 The Broadway, Wimbledon, London SW19 1RH.

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Barnshaw 12 years 5 months ago #1516

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
Thanks for that. I tried looking through the rolls on ancestory my self with no luck. The site is so badly indexed that it takes hours to find anything. I suppose with the FID they just gave up. Many thanks. The medal seems to be in order.
ATB
David
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds