Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

private clements 12 years 2 months ago #2255

Hello
I wonder would anyone have info on private Clements he was in the irish regiment and served in the second boer war i had 2 medals for him i lent them to one of the irish rifles clubs in Belfast they had them displayed in a glass case but sadly someone stole them but they must have had a key as the case was not damaged how low will people sink, any way he was my gg uncle and he came from Belfast in Northern Ireland his father was James Clements
so he may have been James also there was 2 initials on the medals but i can't remember what they are. I have 2 sisters for him for him born 1867 and 1870 so he may have been born between them or before
Any help would be much appreciated
Thank You
Isabel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: private clements 12 years 2 months ago #2258

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Isabel, welcome to ABW Forum. You're likely going to need to know at least his first initial to try find some definate info on him. There were many men by the name of Clements that served in the various Irish regiments during the Boer War. I'm unable to find any man by that name that received both the Queen's South Africa and King's South Africa Medals (you mention two medals so I presume these would be QSA and KSA) in the Royal Irish Regiment. However, you mention that the medals were lent to the one of the Irish Rifles Clubs. Could it be that he served in the Royal Irish Rifles and not the Royal Irish Regiment?

There was a Pte. J.Clements in the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles that received both the QSA and KSA. There was also a Pte. G.Clements in the same battalion that received both medals. There was also a Pte. J.Clements in the 5th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles but he received only the QSA and not the KSA.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: private clements 11 years 7 months ago #5166

Hi Mark
Sorry only getting back to you now thanks for your reply yes i think you are right it would have been the Irish rifles
and i think possibly the first J Clements as his father was James Clements a sailor not sure who the mother was. I have been on so many sites for family history i forgot i joined this one i have now saved it to top sites,
i'm so sorry for not answering your post i'm sure you thought i was very rude after you took the time to answer my query
Isabel

Re: private clements 11 years 7 months ago #5198

• Mark Wilkie
Hi Isabel, better late than never. The details are 2447 Pte. J. Clements, 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles. Received QSA with Cape Colony and Orange Free State clasps on WO 100/204 page 182. Place and date are given as Thabanchu, 8th August 1901.His KSA with South Africa 1901 and 1902 clasps was issued on WO 100/344 page 133. Place and date are given as Dublin, 30 March 1903. Under remarks, 'time expired' has been entered.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: private clements 11 years 7 months ago #5221

Hi Mark
Thank's very much for that information it's a great help i will now see if i can get his service paper's
your help is much appreciated
Isabel

Re: private clements 11 years 7 months ago #5224

• Mark Wilkie
Best of luck, Isabel,

Cheers,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.470 seconds