Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"Diary of a nurse in South Africa" by Sister Alice Bron 8 years 1 month ago #45615

• FSburgher
  • FSburgher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello Forum members;
:)
I acquired the book in question from The Book Depository in the UK recently and it is a fascinating read. :kiss:
Sister Alice Bron's first hand descriptions of the conditions prevailing in the Free State prior to the early advance of the British Army northwards from the Cape via Jacobsdal to the relief of Kimberley. The terrible hospital conditions and the attitude towards foreigners helping the Republican cause is an eye opener.
The hurried departure of Pres MT Steyn and his Free Sate Republic Govt from Bloemfontein and her service with the Dutch Belgian Red Cross.

She relates her meeting with General Wavell during his advance to Bloemfontein and meeting Col Mereuil de Villebois prior to the capitulation of the Free State Capital and his death in the battle at Boshoff.
Her description of fighting on the front and her very detailed description of the various characters gives real insight into conditions under which the Commandos had to fight the British onslaught.
The book ends with her detailing her departure and escape from Kroonstad with the Russian Ambulance on a train to Pretoria with Col Maximoff . :huh:
I'm really surprised given her detailed description of the Boer's fighting spirit why it took 3 years to effect defeat on the Boer Republics??

If other Forum members are familiar with Sister Bron and wish to discuss this story or know more about her please let me know. :)
Thank you all for the wonderfully interesting items that you all place on the Forum.
regards
Evyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds