Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Congratulations to Meurig....... 6 years 4 months ago #56749

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Everyone.......

I know that this has been mentioned before but I would like to pass my Congratulations to Meurig on his being presented The Henry Pownall Memorial Cup at the 2017 OMRS convention for his display......

Just rec'd my copy of OMRS Journal and has photo of Meurig's display........

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Congratulations to Meurig....... 6 years 4 months ago #56750

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
I also received my OMRS Journal today and would like to add my congratulations to Meurig for his display.
Question : could we have some details of the events/casualties covered? I am particularly interested because my main collection theme is what I call "A Medallic History of the Boer War", starting with awards to Boers & Tommies who were in the first battle (Kraaipan 12 Oct 1899) and ends with a QSA to a Canadian SAC Trooper who was killed on 30 May 1902 at Buffelsdoorn.
Henk

Congratulations to Meurig....... 6 years 4 months ago #56751

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
It must be a day for journals as mine arrived today too.

Very well done, Meurig.
Dr David Biggins

Congratulations to Meurig....... 6 years 4 months ago #56753

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452

Henk Loots wrote: Hi
I also received my OMRS Journal today and would like to add my congratulations to Meurig for his display.
Question : could we have some details of the events/casualties covered? I am particularly interested because my main collection theme is what I call "A Medallic History of the Boer War", starting with awards to Boers & Tommies who were in the first battle (Kraaipan 12 Oct 1899) and ends with a QSA to a Canadian SAC Trooper who was killed on 30 May 1902 at Buffelsdoorn.
Henk

Thanks gentlemen.

Henk - the text of my display is here: theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/...s-of-anglo-boer.html

I too have managed a top 'n tail of casualties - Kraaipan and my last is 2 June 1902.

My latest casualty during the war is also to the SAC, but died of disease 28 May 1902.

There are 11 casualties for 31 May 1902.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Henk Loots

Congratulations to Meurig....... 6 years 4 months ago #56757

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Meurig
I have accessed the text of your display and I stand in awe!!
2 matters:
* I also have a QSA to a post-31 May casualty: Pte J Travis, Grenadier Guards. He was shot in the arm while on sentry duty at Molteno during the night of 2 June 1902
* I have the QSA (Natal, Tvl, SA01 & 02) to Agent L de Jager, FID.
Buxton has two entries for L de Jager, but it is the same man. Buxton also missed the Natal bar : the RH part of the QSA roll was obscured by a piece of paper. Where did you find reference to his Loxton's Horse service?
Lodewyk de Jager was a "Joiner" : I also have his original appointment as Magistrate's Clerk & Public Prosecutor, Wakkerstroom, signed by Pres Kruger on 1 April 1896.
Gen Hildyard occupied Wakkerstroom on 16 June 1900. According to the Afrikaans Official Boer War History by Breytenbach (Vol VI, p151/3) the troops were guided by a Mr Loxton and Magistrate Kleynhans and L de Jager co-signed a document re the surrender of the town and district. Both officials were immediately re-appointed by Buller to continue the administration and they worked enthusiastically in encouraging Burghers to surrender. As a result the Boer generals operating in the vicinity were ordered by Pres Kruger and Gen Joubert to bring the 2 officials to Machadodorp to face trial for High Treason. This, obviously, did not happen.

Henk

Congratulations to Meurig....... 6 years 4 months ago #56766

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
No Journal as yet - just the digital copy. But yes may I add my hearty congratulations. An awe inspiring contribution.

ATB

David
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds