Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Walter Dufton - Protectorate Regt 6 years 3 weeks ago #57804

• Peter Jordi
  • Peter Jordi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 40
Hi

Walter Dufton was a trooper In the Protectorate Regiment during the siege of Mafeking and received a QSA reflecting that service. He also has the Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal with the clasp for Basutoland.

Nick Tucker's article in the OMRS Journal of December 2017 entitled `Was this a Victoria Cross act in the making? Trooper Algernon Tucker, `C' Squadron, Protectorate Regiment, Frontier Force at Game Tree Fort, Mafeking, 26 December 1899' at page 271 makes reference to Walter Dufton when describing how Trooper Horace Ramsden came to win the Victoria Cross for rescuing his brother, Alfred. Ramsden carried his wounded brother from close up against the Boer fortifications. `Every few minutes Horace put Alfred down and rested. About 200 yards from the Boer trenches and still under fire, Horace called to Trooper Walter Dufton (`C' Squadron) who was trying to recover his breath while lying behind an ant hill, and asked him to carry his rifle and bayonet. Horace coolly laid Alfred down, walked over to Dufton, handed him the carbine, then returned to pick up Alfred and continued to stagger down the hillside.'

I am trying to trace the original source for this reference to Dufton. Reference is made to Dufton in Lord Ashcroft's book on Victoria Cross winners and also in Ian Uys' book on the same subject, when they refer to Ramsden. However the original source of the reference to Dufton is not apparent.

There Is also a reference to Dufton in Owen's book on the Duke of Edinburgh's Own Volunteer Rifles in the context of the Gun War in Basutoland in 1880, where it is mentioned that Dufton was wounded by a ricocheting bullet. Again, the original source for that reference is not given.

Is there a diary or letters in existence which tell Dufton's story? Perhaps someone can alleviate my frustration and direct me to the original source?

Best regards

Peter Jordi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walter Dufton - Protectorate Regt 6 years 1 week ago #57953

• Peter Jordi
  • Peter Jordi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 40
Hi

I am able to answer my own question regarding the source of the reference to Walter Dufton.

Dufton was the third witness whose evidence was taken to support the recommendation that Horace Ramsden be awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry. There is a substantial quotation from Dufton to support the recommendation. The other witnesses whose statements are quoted in the recommendation are 87 Trp Alfred Ernest Ramsden, Major A J Godley, 110 Trp Louis Vernon Guttenberg, 118 Trp Edward Arthur Walker and 446 Trp William Patrick Carroll all of the Protectorate Regiment and Major L E Anderson of the R.A.M.C.

One day I hope to collate all of the recommendations for Victoria Crosses for the Boer War and be able to provide you with a list of all of the witnesses.

Best regards

Peter Jordi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds