Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

9586 Pte. Samuel James Didsbury 2nd Batt. Scots Guards 5 years 9 months ago #59627

• swc1swc2
  • swc1swc2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I thought I would write to let you know that on the entry for Samuel James Didsbury you have the initial 'G.' when it should be 'S.'. The reason why I know is because he was my Maternal Grandfather. I don't know if this Forum is where I mention this error but it was interesting when I looked him up to find out that he was wounded. Unfortunately, I never met my Grandfather as he died in 1948, but by all accounts from his family he was a colourful man who lived in Edinburgh and married four times. After the Boer war he joined the Johannesburg Police and married his second wife, my Grandmother who was a Nurse during the Boer War, before they both came back to Scotland.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9586 Pte. Samuel James Didsbury 2nd Batt. Scots Guards 5 years 8 months ago #59860

• Exgregis
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Samuel James Didsbury was my great uncle. I have only recently learned of his service in SA and his being severely wounded at Wakkerstroom. His brother, my grandfather, who died c. 1949, also served and was wounded in SA. I'm very pleased to learn more details of Samuel James. All I knew before reading your post was a family belief that he had been married "several" times and that he had some kind of association with Scotland, supposedly Sterling. It would be interesting to share further information.

9586 Pte. Samuel James Didsbury 2nd Batt. Scots Guards 5 years 8 months ago #59875

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
My apologies, swc1swc2.

I have corrected his entry now. Thank you for letting me know.
Dr David Biggins

9586 Pte. Samuel James Didsbury 2nd Batt. Scots Guards 5 years 8 months ago #59877

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
There are several documents relating to this man. They can be accessed at cost from FindMyPast or for free at the National Archives.

His service papers would provide you with a good understanding of his time with the Colours.

FindMyPast link
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

9586 Pte. Samuel James Didsbury 2nd Batt. Scots Guards 5 years 8 months ago #59893

• swc1swc2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I am pleased to her from someone else who is connected to Samuel James Didsbury. Tell me was your Grand Father, Thomas or William? I would be interested in sharing further information.

9586 Pte. Samuel James Didsbury 2nd Batt. Scots Guards 5 years 8 months ago #59895

• swc1swc2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Dear David,
Thanks for correcting the entry for 9586 Pte S. J. Didsbury, 2nd Batt. Scots Guards, and for your information about the documents associated to him. I am sure some of them I have, as I have been up to the National Archives, but I will check the ones you have kindly listed to make sure I haven't missed anything.
Many thanks and kind regards,
Peter

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds