TOPIC:

Recommendations. 5 years 1 month ago #62544

• juststarted
  • juststarted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I am relatively new to medal collecting and to be honest don't really know what I am doing.

Please can anyone recommend any free sites to access Boer War Records/Census Records or WW1 records or do you have to pay for most things?

The first thing I was trying to acertain is if the Boer War Serviceman 7943 Cpl O Batty Yorkshire Light Infantry (who kindly looking at your records received the Mediterranean Medal) is the same man as WW1 Serviceman Oliver Batty Service Number 313242 who sadly died in WW1?

Any help you can provide so I can start accessing/researching would be gratefully received - thank you, Nick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Recommendations. 5 years 1 month ago #62547

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Hello, Nick, and welcome to the forum and to medal collecting.

Good quality and free information is hard to come by. If you are in the UK, the National Archives provides free access to a lot of medal information and you can download medals rolls which help with verification. For the Great War, sites such as the Commonwealth War Graves Commission can provide useful information and is free to access. Chargeable sites such as FindMyPast and Ancestry have a wealth of online material but at a cost of around £20 per month if you subscribe to both.

Re Oliver Batty, FindMyPast has a copy of his pension records which may provide the information you seek. You can pay for online access or visit the National Archives for free access.

www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sour...ountry=great+britain

Good luck and happy collecting
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: juststarted

Recommendations. 5 years 1 month ago #62551

• juststarted
  • juststarted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi David,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Nick.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds