Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Attestation papers - how to find? 4 years 2 months ago #67667

• jan808
  • jan808's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
Really learning a great deal of fascinating information from this forum, and I am deeply impressed with the friendly and helpful contributions people make.
So with apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but how might I find attestation papers for men from particular units? I understand from a recent thread that such papers were only in colonial units, so are these in the National Archive? .
Thanks in advance,
Jan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attestation papers - how to find? 4 years 2 months ago #67668

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Jan,

There are many attestation papers for South African units held by the National Archives in London.

This page lists the attestation papers for SA units (in the Enrolment column): www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/9...-south-african-units

Which unit or whom do you seek"

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: jan808

Attestation papers - how to find? 4 years 2 months ago #67690

• jan808
  • jan808's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
David - thanks for the pointer to the relevant page on the website, I must have missed this. Is there a FAQ or guide to finding and retrieving information? [Given that I missed the link for attestation papers, it's quite likely I missed any guide too].
I was interested in a man from Natal Royal Rifles, if only as a "worked example" on how to found useful paperwork as part of any research.

Jan

Attestation papers - how to find? 4 years 2 months ago #67701

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Jan,

There are over 3,000 articles on the site now and twenty times that in forum posts so finding information can be quite difficult - even if you have been here a while!

Paperwork for the Natal units is not held by the National Archives in London. For Natal units a much better starting point would be the Archives in Pietermaritzburg in KZN.

I have only visited there only myself twice but it does hold a wealth of information. A local researcher would be best to look around their archive.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds