Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Comment on Medal Roll 3 years 10 months ago #69292

• gordon12
  • gordon12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi folks, I have been on the trail of a relative for long and weary now. 5161 Francis Laing Paterson (t) He is definitely my guy. I had info re his QSA, with 4 clasps. Now it seems that is incorrect he had two clasps DOF and Elanslaagte. On the 2nd. Btn Gordon Highlanders medal Roll, there is a note which says, " name expunged from Kitchener`s Horse. why would that be ? Perhaps it was on the roll in error, or he requested it as has been suggested ? Than you in anticipation. I have another snippet i.e a copy of a page from Kit. Horse, with the name F. Patterson, it says o/r not sgnt as he was.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Comment on Medal Roll 3 years 10 months ago #69293

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Gordon12,

On the 2nd Gordons roll, 5161 Sergeant Patterson is listed for clasps Eland and DoL (WO100/203p392).

He served as Orderly Room Sergeant in Kitchener's Horse earning the clasps CC, OFS and Tr. When the clasps were copied over to the GH roll, only CC and OFS were added.

These are the clasps on the medal sold by Glendining in November 1977.

He is expunged from the Kitchener's Horse roll to make it clear that his medal would be named to the Gordon Highlanders which is what happened. It looks like he was loaned from the Gordons and returned to them on 23 August 1901.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordon12

Comment on Medal Roll 3 years 10 months ago #69294

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Coincidentally 3026 Sergeant F Paterson from the GH also served with Kitchener's Horse. That must have been confusing!

Only one F Patterson is listed on the KiH nominal roll.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordon12

Comment on Medal Roll 3 years 10 months ago #69296

• gordon12
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
djb, I salute you Sir,
I have searched for a long time trying to locate the medal, recently I was told he only had DOL and Elan.. I do not know what the TR in your response refers to.excuse my ignorance. Is there a route which I can follow to find any info on his time in Africa or with Kit.Horse ? Francis came back from India after which he took up a post as instructor of the 6th. Btn. In Buckie, N.E. Scotland where he put hi gun in his mouth. I understand his records were destroyed. There was much disinformation in the press e.g. he served at Dargai. I note your comment on 3026, I had paid for a researcher in Kew some years go and that was the record he attributed to my Francis. I had the record but am unable to locate it presently. I did know the medal had sold but have no sight of it since. If I can impose upon your kindness to say what the Tr. means it would be greatly appreciated. At 73, not the sharpest tack in the box. Again, thank you.

Comment on Medal Roll 3 years 10 months ago #69299

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
My apologies, Gordon12. Tr is my abbreviation for the Transvaal clasp on the QSA.

There may be an attestation paper for him when he joined Kitchener's Horse. I will check when the National Archives reopens its doors. If this exists, it may help to fill out what he did with Kitchener's Horse.

That is a sad end to his story.

I checked and you are correct that there are no service papers for him.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Comment on Medal Roll 3 years 10 months ago #69301

• gordon12
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Gosh, there is certainly no need for you to apologise, more like me for the imposition. The nation archives are online just now. I however grew up in the age of the abacus just about so I struggle with it.My resurgence of interest is due to that fact I managed to find his wife and her record in the QAIMNS.. If I might clear up one item when the medal was sold did it have the 5 clasps ? I did have contact with a family member of her 2nd husband,but he was not very forthcoming. I was merely trying to ascertain if the medal was with the family. I really want to obtain one even with copy clasps hence the need to determine, how it was hope that makes sense. I look forward to anything re attestation paper. Once again Sir, I thank you so much. very much appreciate your help.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.485 seconds