Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Royal Engineers Telegraph Section 3 weeks 4 days ago #94940

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 768
Dear Forummers
I'm keen to learn more about the telegraph sections of the RE. In particular during the Natal campaign, but also more generally. Unit diaries, anecdotes, photos, etc.
My seeking detailed info arose when someone expressed disbelief that Gen Buller and Gen Warren were in telegraphic communication on the upper Tugela, which they were; and that Buller was in direct communication with London, which he was.
I know that Woodgate brought his telegraph men across Trichardt's Drift on 17 Jan but I would love to know how the various telegraph lines connected, how messages were sent, etc to get a better idea.
At Spioenkop, the summit heliograph station faced three Tree Hill (it was situated where the car park is today) came into action when the mist lifted and the sun shone (at about 8:40 am) but it was almost imediately hit by a shell, just as it was communicating its first heliogram from the wounded Gen Woodgate. Thereafter, Spion Kop summit signalled by flag from the southern part of the summit to Spearman's Hill (Buller's HQ) and Buller telegraphed the messages on to Warren at Three Tree Hill. There were 2 further heliographs on the spur - one with Gen Coke and one with the Artillery - but they were so far from the summit they didn't play a significant role in the battle.
Buller: "As no heliograph could, on account of the fire, be kept on the east side of Spion Kop, messages for Sir C. Warren were received by our signallers at Spearman’s, and telegraphed to Sir C. Warren; thus I saw them before he did, as I was at the signal station... I could see that our men on the top had given way, and that efforts were being made to rally them. I telegraphed to Sir C. Warren: ‘Unless you put some really good hard-fighting man in command on the top you will lose the hill. I suggest Thorneycroft.’"
I'd be grateful for all contributions about telegraphs, maybe go on to heliographs next!
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Royal Engineers Telegraph Section 3 weeks 4 days ago #94942

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1992
Rob,

This photograph shows Buller's telegraph staff at Ladysmith (c. March 1900). Possibly a bit late for you, but interesting all the same.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D, Moranthorse1

Royal Engineers Telegraph Section 3 weeks 3 days ago #94959

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 768
Here's a well-known image of a British field telegrapher, 1899.
Note, he is listening for Morse, not voice - the high voltages of the system and high resistances of the wires meant that noise-to-signal was still unsuitable for voice.

The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Royal Engineers Telegraph Section 3 weeks 3 days ago #94961

• Neville_C
This cabinet photograph shows a group of telegraphists at Brandfort. Helpfully, it is dated on the back 11th August 1900.

"Telegraph Operators (Lines of Communication) of the Military Telegraph Office Field Service, Brandfort, O.R.C., South Africa, 11th August 1900".

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D, Moranthorse1

Royal Engineers Telegraph Section 3 weeks 3 days ago #94964

• Neville_C
Rob,

I'm sure you are aware of this book.

Lieut.-Col. Hippisley's "History of the Telegraph Operations during the War in South Africa, 1899-1902" (HMSO, London 1903) is as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth. I have only ever seen one copy, and that was at a Ladysmith Historical Society meeting back in 1978. At the time, I remember thinking it looked to be a very dull book indeed, full of uninspiring diagrams, each consisting of little more than a few straight lines. I'm sure I would view it in a more positive light if I happened across a copy today. The volume has 85 pages of text together with 100 charts.

I imagine Kew has a copy.

Courtesy of Ron Hackett

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Royal Engineers Telegraph Section 3 weeks 3 days ago #94967

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Rob & Neville,

Does this link work for you?

nla.gov.au/nla.obj-52886379/view?partId=...509#page/n4/mode/1up

The National Library of Australia has digitised it; let me know if you can't access it and I'll make a plan.

Regards,
Sturgy
Speak my name so that I may live again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Neville_C

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.781 seconds