Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

William Frank Reardon Eastern Province Horse L/Cpl 943/309221. Silver War Badge 3 months 12 hours ago #95757

• Grandrew2
  • Grandrew2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi
I am trying to pin down that the Silver War Badge no B17923 issued to William Frank Reardon Private G/9473 who served with the Royal West Kents (attached AVC). Was the same man as above.
The only clue I have is that his attestation papers for his enlistment to the Royal West Kent say previous service in the Colonial Forces. The WF Reardon in the Eastern Province Horse gets a Wepener bar

Here is a summary of what I know

Badge no B17923 was issued to William Frank Reardon Private G/9473 who served with the Royal West Kents (attached AVC) from 7 August 1915 to 8 September 1916 and did not go overseas and was discharged sick. (War Office Letter No 35/ Artillery/2660 dated 12 Oct 1915).

His WW1 discharge papers confirm the above details and in addition show he had previous service in the “colonial Forces two year, time expired”. His address on discharge was shown as 19 Ranelagh Road, Lupus Street, South Belgravia and he was aged 53 and a clerk. (1863). When he was medically examined he gave his birthplace as Stepney, London on 7 August 1915 and his age 49! (probably for the benefit of the Recruiting Sergeant i.e looks better that he is under 50.) On attestation he gave his Next of Kin as his wife Catherine 9 Church Street Woolwich and stated they were married on 10 Sept 1912 at St George’s Hanover Square Register Office. His Silver War Badge was sent to him at 19 Ranelagh Road and receipt acknowledged on the 19th Oct 1918.

There was a William Francis Reardon Born Stepney C1865 who joined the 76th Imp Yeo Feb 1900 but did not serve oversea.

Any help gratefully received

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Frank Reardon Eastern Province Horse L/Cpl 943/309221. Silver War Badge 3 months 9 hours ago #95759

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 337
Hi Grandrew2,

Looking at the records you provided it's certainly possible that they are one and the same; but can't definitely say either way.

If WF Reardon had stayed in South Africa then there may have been a death certificate for him.

The only death certificate I can find of someone by that name and date is for a "William Reardon" who died in Johannesburg straight after the Boer War in 1903; he was born circa 1862 in Cork Ireland and was working as a Miner which would have made him an Uitlander at the start of the War; many of whom joined the colonial forces.

The only way to be 100% sure will be to get your hands on the attestation papers for either the DEOVR or Eastern Province Horseand see where he was born (UK or Ireland); not sure if they exisit.

Good Luck.

Regards,
Sturgy

Speak my name so that I may live again
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Grandrew2

William Frank Reardon Eastern Province Horse L/Cpl 943/309221. Silver War Badge 3 months 7 hours ago #95761

• jan808
  • Thank you received: 15
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...ince-horse-surname-r

The attestation papers for EPH are on this site - link above to the relevant section. The papers for WF Reardon are there.

Cheers,
J
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Grandrew2

William Frank Reardon Eastern Province Horse L/Cpl 943/309221. Silver War Badge 3 months 3 hours ago #95764

• Grandrew2
Thank you Sturgy and Jan You have helped me a great deal.
When I saw the attestation papers there was his next of kin noted as Mrs Annie Frost. I remembered that appearing as the next of kin for the Imperial Yeomanry guy who did not serve overseas. I tried to find her at the address shown in the 1901 Census -41 Jocelyn Street. but no luck. Then I started to focus on his wife and looking for a Catherine Connor with spouse called Reardon
Bingo up popped a tree including a Michael Reardan AKA William Frank Reardon. I just need to make contact with the owner and see how he links everything together, For his tree certainly includes the Pension papers for the Royal West Kent for which he gets the badge but also has the medal roll for the DEVOR and the Imperial Yeo Hospital Staff.
What an amazing stroke of luck. Recently I have had some success if I cannot find a man in any tree by focussing on his wife and it has come up trumps again.

I am not home and hosed yet but I am a lot closer than I was before I came on to the forum seeking help

Many thanks

Andrew

Sorry tried to attach the docs but the ancestry download exceed the site limit
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

William Frank Reardon Eastern Province Horse L/Cpl 943/309221. Silver War Badge 2 months 4 weeks ago #95766

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4718
That is great news, Andrew, and a useful tip regarding search strategies.
Dr David Biggins

William Frank Reardon Eastern Province Horse L/Cpl 943/309221. Silver War Badge 2 months 4 weeks ago #95792

• Grandrew2
Hi

I need to discount William as W Reardon 1052 Kaffarian Rifles(KR)
Can some kind soul point me in the direction of any papers for this man in the KR please
My chances of linking my man to earning a Wepener Clasp are hanging by a thin thread but I would like to closure on that avenue.

The first time I have him in South Africa is the 1st Jan 1901 with the Eastern Province Horse (see attestation papers on this website kindly highlighted by Jan808 below)
I am hoping he may have some earlier service as my man has previous as an absconder

Many Thanks

Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds