Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Prince Alfreds own Cape Volunteer Artillery 11 years 9 months ago #4045

• Frank Kelley
  • Frank Kelley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 954
Adrian,
I can't thank you enough, interesting thing here for me is that I no nothing much about these medals, I don't even have the published roll and I only bought Eckard because I realised I did not have that particular clasp.
Twenty years ago these medals were very easy to find here, but now, they seem to have dried up I remember having to chance of a three clasp one years ago and have spent the time since regretting that I did'nt buy it, don't think I could afford it now!
Yes, you do see the odd Bechuanaland still but thats about it, so was pleased to find a Transkei, all I had was just a couple with a QSA/KSA in my collection and thats it!
I do think these are quite scarce medals though, when you do the maths and compare with the thousands of QSA's and the millions of WW1 trios, they are not that expensive really either!
Thanks again Adrian.
Frank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Prince Alfreds own Cape Volunteer Artillery 11 years 9 months ago #4047

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Frank,

It was my pleasure. If you ever need a look up give me a shout as I have the roll and as you now know a few hundred copies of the application forms as well as the above mentioned receipts.

I must say, for me the CGHGS medal is one of the nicest campaign medals to have in a collection particulary if it's in a group with a QSA and KSA for example. The three clasp Cape is a rare beast, only 23 issued if memory serves and they cost a fortune. However, the comfirmed no clasp Cape is also a rare beast with only (if memory serves again) 10 being issued. Sadly I have neither examples!!

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Prince Alfreds own Cape Volunteer Artillery 11 years 9 months ago #4067

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank

Not trying to hijack your thread but just thought I would copy my thread in this one.
Thank you for your PM

Fellow Forum members,

I have been asked to do some research for a friend and I am hoping for some help please.
My friend has the Cape of Good Hope medal with clasps Basutoland and Transkei along with his QSA with Defence Of Kimberley clasp and a Kimberley Star.
He is Sgt.Daniel Campbell Cape Mounted Riflemen and Kimberley Town Guard.
I have managed to locate his medal rolls for the QSA with correct clasp on Ancestry.
I have also located a Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal roll which shows a Pte.D.Campbell Cape Mounted Riflemen with the Basutoland/Transkei clasp.
Now I am at a dead end, can anyone offer anymore information or is that all I am likely to find.

As always thank you for any comments/info

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Prince Alfreds own Cape Volunteer Artillery 11 years 9 months ago #4071

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hello again Paul,

This is really turning out to be a bad day :angry:

There is no CGHGS medal application form to Campbell either.It has not survived.I searched high and low in the Archives during 2008-2010 and only managed to find a few hundred forms, what happened to the rest is anyones guess.Those that I did find I copied.

Again sorry for the bad news.

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Prince Alfreds own Cape Volunteer Artillery 11 years 9 months ago #4076

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Adrian

Thanks for the search!
Its just one of those things, sometimes you can be lucky.....
Thanks for all your help in these requests you have been most helpful.

Paul :)

capepolice wrote: Hello again Paul,

This is really turning out to be a bad day :angry:

There is no CGHGS medal application form to Campbell either.It has not survived.I searched high and low in the Archives during 2008-2010 and only managed to find a few hundred forms, what happened to the rest is anyones guess.Those that I did find I copied.

Again sorry for the bad news.

Adrian

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Prince Alfreds own Cape Volunteer Artillery 11 years 9 months ago #4096

• Frank Kelley
  • Frank Kelley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 954
Adrian,
Here is Eckard, thanks again!
Regards Frank

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.498 seconds