Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: A very special medal 11 years 8 months ago #4638

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Adrian

You got me excited there!
This is indeed my KSA but not the QSA unfortunatelly.
The website belongs to the kind collector who offered me Fredericks KSA the QSA shown is just an image of the same clasp combination.
Thanks for taking the time though.

Paul :)

capepolice wrote: Paul,

I think that this is the missing QSA, see link below:

www.britishmedals.us/collections/GA/vallender.html

Adrian

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: A very special medal 11 years 8 months ago #4640

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Paul,

What a great pity. I thought that I had solved the mystery of the missing medal. Oh well, I shall keep my eyes open for you.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: A very special medal 11 years 8 months ago #4641

• coldstream
Thanks Adrian
Appreciate that.

capepolice wrote: Paul,

What a great pity. I thought that I had solved the mystery of the missing medal. Oh well, I shall keep my eyes open for you.

Regards
Adrian

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: A very special medal 11 years 8 months ago #4689

• Boertjie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
abwkznd.pdf
Hay Paul,
it was good to read the first chapter your story! Now it is your turn write the next 5 to finish your book! Oh and do include a complete research on Bethune's Mounted lnfantry because i need it and this is how I found you!
No such thing as Coincidence! I am a dairy and beef cattle farmer and my farm is one mile from where the Scheepers Nek battle took place. I have being researching and gathered info of that Battlefield for the last 30 years as my Great Grandmother’s brother was also involved but on the opposing side of your family. He was Jan De Bruyn and fought with the Vryheid Commando. I Have also found some the most beautiful relics on my farm from that battle. I will compile a report of that and post it later on this forum for all to enjoy. I am always busy researching Bethune's Mounted lnfantry, The Devon’s, Durham’s and Lancaster’s as this is some of the regiment that was involved with my family’s History. My Great Grandfather was KIA at Spioenkop
I can also assist you in correcting most of the spellingof the Boer place names that is wrong in your report. My Wife have a Guest House on the Farm www.wheretostay.co.za/petrasfarmguesthouse When visiting S.A do come and stay here so that I can go and show you where it all happen. I have a more detailed version but for now, enjoy! Best regards Louis Scheepers
ACTION AT SCHEEPER'S NEK : 20 MAY 1900
Although the Boers had evacuated Dundee scattered groups remained in the vicinity and on 16 May 1900 Bethune was ordered to pursue some of these who were reported to be in the vicinity of Nqutu. His mounted infantry found no Boers at Nqutu but hearing of a commando in the Blood River valley moved off northwards in pursuit. By 20 May he was in the vicinity of Scheepers Nek where a small force of Boers was concentrated.
Some members of the Vryheid commando and 75 men of the Swaziland commando, the latter under Comdt Koot Opperman were in a valley near the neck where Dom. E.C. Anderson was conducting a service, the 20th being a Sunday. It is not quite clear how the action started but it would seem that one of the officers of the advance squadron, of Bethune's Mounted Infantry rode-up to the Boer guards without noticing them, giving them the opportunity to disperse before the British could attack.
Capt Goff who was in command of the leading squadron which was considerable in advance of the rest of the force found himself in an exposed position on a slope where ant heaps formed the only cover. The Boers deployed to ridges on the East and North and their fire created havoc amongst the British horses. The dismounted infantry replied as best they could and made good use of the maxim gun. However, the hot Boer fire forced the British to withdraw before the main body arrived. British losses were approximately 30 killed (including Capt Goff and 2 subalterns) and 30 wounded. British sources mention that 6 prisoners were taken but Boer sources place the figure much higher. Only one Boer was killed. As a result of the action Bethune fell back on Nqutu and eventually to Dundee.

Re: A very special medal 11 years 8 months ago #4691

• coldstream
Hello Boertjie

Welcome to the Forum
Thank you for reading my post and the extra information you have supplied it is most appreciated.
Would welcome the spelling corrections also!
Had a look at your guesthouse website, it looks lke a beautiful place to stay.

Thanks again

Re: A very special medal 11 years 8 months ago #4739

• coldstream
Just like to share my joy at another family re-unite, my second in two weeks!
A Forum member from the British Medal Forum contacted me this week to let me know there was a WW1 pair listed on Ebay with the Vallender family name.
On looking I found it was to a Great Uncle, to cut a long story short I contacted the seller with an offer and the medals are now in my possesion.
Pte.Edwin John Vallender served in the ASC in France, along with his trio he was issued a SWB sadly the 15 star is missing from the group.
Although his medals are not Boer War related I thought I would add this story onto this thread, thank you for looking.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds