TOPIC:

Trooper Rupert McCallum, Cape Mounted Rifles 11 years 6 months ago #6083

• dannybou
  • dannybou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am researching:

McCallum, Rupert born in 1882 from Lachute, Quebec. He enlisted with the 2nd Imperial Light Horse on 25 January 1902 in Port Elizabeth. He was discharged in June 1902 and joined the Cape Mounted Rifles. According to his Boer War record, he was awarded the QSA with the O.F.S. and Transvaal clasps. Now my questions are:

1. Are there records like sailing lists which could give me the dates and name of ship he boarded for the trip to Port Elizabeth?
2. Are there records for the Cape Mounted Rifles like attestation papers and/or discharge certificates?
3. He returned to Canada in 1914 on time to enlist with the CEF for World War One. Would his service with the Cape Mounted Rifles entitle him to other medals? I am assuming he served 10 years with them. A long service medal?
4. Would the Imperial Light Horse have a War Diary? I am looking for what the unit did between January and June 1902.

I checked the UK Archives and didn't have much luck. Same with the S.A. Archives. Any assistance would be appreciated. With thanks

Danny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Trooper Rupert McCallum, Cape Mounted Rifles 11 years 6 months ago #6086

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Greetings Danny,
What have you looked at in the UK and SA? and where have you looked? when you say Boer War record, what do you mean, are you refering to the QSA roll?
To answer your questions I would say:
1, Yes, If he sailed on a British registered ship then passenger lists exist in the Board of Trade documents at the TNA Kew, should also be on FMP/Ancestry.
2, Yes, I would first speak to Adrian (CapePolice) on this forum via the PM facility. Then I might speak to Audrey Portman [email protected]
3, Again yes, a Cape of Good Hope Long Service medal, quite possible, but, I think unlikely, depending on length of service, speak to Adrian!
4, The ILH attestation papers are in WO126 and their nominal roll is in WO127, both at Kew, the best history was written in 1937 by G F Gibson, The Story of the Imperial Light Horse!
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: dannybou

Re: Trooper Rupert McCallum, Cape Mounted Rifles 11 years 6 months ago #6090

• dannybou
  • dannybou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Frank

This what I have:

His WO126/60 file (Kew)
His WO100/251 QSA Medal Roll (Kew)
His WWI CEF service record. (LAC)

I ran his name through Ancestry and the only entry I found was his departure from England to Canada in 1914. Of course, Ancestry isn't the best when it comes to transcriptions so I will search again.

As for the South Africa Archives, not sure if there are online records I could search. I'll PM Adrian right away. Thanks Frank

Danny

Re: Trooper Rupert McCallum, Cape Mounted Rifles 11 years 6 months ago #6092

• Frank Kelley
Okay Danny,
Then its over to Adrian and after that if there is anything else to be had from the Cape archive then Audrey would be able to get if for you, it is not on line.
WO126/60 is his ILH attestation, there is a nomimal roll in WO127, which is also here on this site, from the menu on the left select unit information, then south african units, the ILH, then nominal roll pages, select by first letter of surname.
I don't use transcribed stuff, but a look on fmp/ancestry should reveal copies of the originals with regards to passenger lists, the originals are in bound A2 sized at Kew, I have looked at them before, but, not on line.
Good hunting Frank

Re: Trooper Rupert McCallum, Cape Mounted Rifles 11 years 6 months ago #6094

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hi Danny.....

I am sure that you have seen this.....

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...imperial-light-horse

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Trooper Rupert McCallum, Cape Mounted Rifles 11 years 6 months ago #6095

• Frank Kelley
Hi Mike,
That is from Stirling's The Colonials in South Africa circa 1907.
Regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: Hi Danny.....

I am sure that you have seen this.....

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...imperial-light-horse

Mike

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.476 seconds