Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kitchener's Fighting Scouts/Mennes Scouts/Natal Mounted Infantry 11 years 4 months ago #6185

• JonathanTondu
  • JonathanTondu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello - my great grandfather Edwin James Dunsford was enlisted first (I think) in the NMI, then Mennes Scouts and then finally into Kitchener's Fighting Scouts - are there any publications available regarding these groups?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Kitchener's Fighting Scouts/Mennes Scouts/Natal Mounted Infantry 11 years 4 months ago #6186

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Jonathan,
A warm welcome to the forum.
Not sure if you have seen this but all the South African units are listed on this website with good reference.
The link is below.
angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-african-units

Paul :)

JonathanTondu wrote: Hello - my great grandfather Edwin James Dunsford was enlisted first (I think) in the NMI, then Mennes Scouts and then finally into Kitchener's Fighting Scouts - are there any publications available regarding these groups?

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonathanTondu

Re: Kitchener's Fighting Scouts/Mennes Scouts/Natal Mounted Infantry 11 years 4 months ago #6192

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello and welcome,
I would have thought it to be very likely that your great grandfather had actually joined Menne's Scouts, then the KFS and finished in the Natal MI.
Menne's Scouts is the most interesting and best of the three in my opinion.
Theodore Menne was a fascinating character and a superb soldier in his own right, he had served in the Colonial Scouts and formed his own squadron and you could say that a cadre from this latter formed Menne's Scouts, they did really well in the Transvaal.
I wish you good luck with your research into your great grandfather, you may find his attestation and perhaps a discharge paper in WO126/90 at TNA Kew.
Regards Frank

JonathanTondu wrote: Hello - my great grandfather Edwin James Dunsford was enlisted first (I think) in the NMI, then Mennes Scouts and then finally into Kitchener's Fighting Scouts - are there any publications available regarding these groups?

The following user(s) said Thank You: JonathanTondu

Re: Kitchener's Fighting Scouts/Mennes Scouts/Natal Mounted Infantry 11 years 4 months ago #6249

• JonathanTondu
  • JonathanTondu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Frank - thanks for the feedback. Would I be correct in assuming that Edwin was enlisted in one of the regular army units and then moved into these irregular units? South Africa is a long way from Roath, Cardiff for a very poor young man to have made his way over there by himself! However if that is the case I cannot locate any reference to him being part of the army prior to these three units. He was working in Cardiff Docks during his late teens so perhaps he found work on a ship and did indeed end up South Africa and enlisted there.
Best regards
Jonathan

Re: Kitchener's Fighting Scouts/Mennes Scouts/Natal Mounted Infantry 11 years 4 months ago #6251

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Jonathan
He might well have done just that, I remember as a boy being very surprised by the large number of men who sailed from all across the empire to get into the war.
A careful look in WO126 at Kew in respect of his time with Menne's Scouts and Kitchener's Fighting Scouts may give you an answer regarding any prior service.
Regards Frank

JonathanTondu wrote: Hello Frank - thanks for the feedback. Would I be correct in assuming that Edwin was enlisted in one of the regular army units and then moved into these irregular units? South Africa is a long way from Roath, Cardiff for a very poor young man to have made his way over there by himself! However if that is the case I cannot locate any reference to him being part of the army prior to these three units. He was working in Cardiff Docks during his late teens so perhaps he found work on a ship and did indeed end up South Africa and enlisted there.
Best regards
Jonathan

Re: Kitchener's Fighting Scouts/Mennes Scouts/Natal Mounted Infantry 11 years 3 months ago #6992

• nedkelly1973
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Jonathan,

I don't know if you have this info or not but this is what I have on your great grandad

1653 Dunsford,Edward james

D squadron right wing 1KFS

enlisted Durban 27/8/01
discharged Pietermaritzburg 21/3/02 completion of service

pevoius service Yes (dosent say what)
age 24
height 5'1''
hair light brown
eyes grey
complexion fair
birthplace Cardiff
occupation Butcher

N.O.K brother Alfred

hope this helps in some way

Glenn

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds