Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Maritzburg Ambulance Corps 11 years 5 months ago #6615

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning,
As Henk has said, this man is shown on WO100/225 page 260, in respect of his Natal bar, His rank is shown as Sergt, in addition, there is a note "GOC SA states these NCO's and men actually performed duties with the troops during the war and are in his opinion entitled to the medal and clasps claimed on the roll"
The roll was prepared at Military Hospital late 14 Stationary and General Hospital Maritzburg.
This man was also a member of the Imperial Hospital Corps and is shown on WO100/249 page 77 as Leader John W H, the Natal clasp has been crossed out, with a note "issue auth'd (authorised) ag/2/m/7401 1/6/04 (ie the 1st of June 1904) MA Corps.
The remarks column, which is headed "Other Service Enlisted" has a note M'Burg AC 27/6/00 (again a date)
In addition, John is shown on WO100/249 page 119 which is their supplementary roll as being entitled to the South Africa 1901 clasp only, again with the rank of Leader and his QSA application made by M'Burg AC.
To conclude, I would think he is not entitled to the other two clasps that you mention, however further research might prove otherwise!
Regards Frank

munroe wrote: Hi all

Another interesting unit on a Queens medal - Serjt W H John Maritzburg Amb. Corps with bars Natal, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 and 1902. The 3 last look like they have been added later.

Is this the Pietmaritzburg Ambulance. Interesting that the name could be shortened to the local name for the town or is it another town? I find no reference to this unit anywhere. Is there a roll for them or is it part of another roll.

Any help will be appreciated

Munroe

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Maritzburg Ambulance Corps 11 years 5 months ago #6617

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443

Hi Munroe, Frank and others

I append a letter re the Maritzburg AC that I obtained from the then National Archives more than 20 years ago : source unfortunately not indicated.

Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Re: Maritzburg Ambulance Corps 11 years 5 months ago #6618

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi

Correction!!

I should have said the then Public Records Office!

Henk

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.179 seconds