TOPIC:

Genealogy research. 11 years 5 months ago #6548

• Colin Bird
  • Colin Bird's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Sir,
I wonder if you could possibly help me find any information about my Grandfather. He was in The Bedfordshire Section of the 2nd Mounted Infantry. His name, Private George Mead army number 4835 mobilised at Aldershot in October 1899. We have a campaign medal with six bars on the ribbon listing: Wittbergen, Diamond Hill, Johannesberg, Driefontein,Paardeberg and the Relief of Kimberley. But sadly he is no longer with us, obviously, and we would love to find out more about him, if that is at all possible. Hope someone can assist me in these inquiries, it would be very much appreciated. Please find enclosed a photo of the said medal. Kind Regards Colin.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Genealogy research. 11 years 5 months ago #6588

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Colin,
I would think that your grandfather had been a member of the second battalion of the Bedfordshire Regt and had served with their MI Coy during the war.
The surviving service papers for this period are to be found in WO96 and WO97 at the TNA Kew, most of these, but, not all, have been digitised and are available on line at Find My Past, this is free to use at Kew, but, if you are doing it from home you need to subscribe.
If there is nothing on FMP it does not mean that his papers do not exist, they may well be found in WO363 or WO364, depending on if he had additional service or the last date the War Office had cause to look at them, this could be for many reasons, but, it was normally due to a soldier being in communication with the War Office regarding his pension.
If this was the case with your grandfather, then you could try looking on line at Ancestry, again free to use whilst at the TNA Kew.
Hope this helps you, best regards Frank

Colin Bird wrote: Dear Sir,
I wonder if you could possibly help me find any information about my Grandfather. He was in The Bedfordshire Section of the 2nd Mounted Infantry. His name, Private George Mead army number 4835 mobilised at Aldershot in October 1899. We have a campaign medal with six bars on the ribbon listing: Wittbergen, Diamond Hill, Johannesberg, Driefontein,Paardeberg and the Relief of Kimberley. But sadly he is no longer with us, obviously, and we would love to find out more about him, if that is at all possible. Hope someone can assist me in these inquiries, it would be very much appreciated. Please find enclosed a photo of the said medal. Kind Regards Colin.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Colin Bird

Re: Genealogy research. 11 years 5 months ago #6589

• Frank Kelley
Colin,
That is a very nice QSA too, verified in WO100/176 page 302 and welcome to this forum!
Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colin Bird

Re: Genealogy research. 11 years 5 months ago #6634

• Colin Bird
  • Colin Bird's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks very much for the info Frank, I will try and get up to Kew soon. I think it would be better to do that, as I may be able to obtain copies of the information held there. Kind regards Colin.

Re: Genealogy research. 11 years 5 months ago #6635

• Frank Kelley
Hi Colin,
You don't need to actually go to Kew to get the info you are looking for, most can be found on Ancestry and FMP!
The advantage of going to Kew is really the quality of any copies you wish to make will be better than your own printer/scanner can do at home!
Regards Frank

Colin Bird wrote: Thanks very much for the info Frank, I will try and get up to Kew soon. I think it would be better to do that, as I may be able to obtain copies of the information held there. Kind regards Colin.

Re: Genealogy research. 11 years 5 months ago #6637

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Colin,
I agree with Frank about the quality of the copies, but if you are unable to get to Kew there are 4 pages of papers for your Grandfather on Find my Past.
Let me know if you need any help finding them.

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hi Colin,
You don't need to actually go to Kew to get the info you are looking for, most can be found on Ancestry and FMP!
The advantage of going to Kew is really the quality of any copies you wish to make will be better than your own printer/scanner can do at home!
Regards Frank

Colin Bird wrote: Thanks very much for the info Frank, I will try and get up to Kew soon. I think it would be better to do that, as I may be able to obtain copies of the information held there. Kind regards Colin.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.852 seconds