• Page:

TOPIC:

DESPATCH BOOKS AND COMMUNICATIONS 11 years 4 months ago #7099

• gordonlennox
  • gordonlennox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The question may seem obvious but I need to understand how military communications worked in the remote regions. An officer needs to send a message to some outposts. Was it done by heliograph if the "wire" did not exist? What role the dispatch riders? How did the dispatch book system work? Did dispatch riders take copies of originals or the original? If a dispatch rider was captured and his bag looted what record was there of the contents of the bag for security purposes? Were all copies of document transcriptions done by hand? Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: DESPATCH BOOKS AND COMMUNICATIONS 11 years 4 months ago #7137

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Gordon,

All good questions and I am not sure I can give you many answers - sorry!

In the National Archives, you can see many hand-written documents, mostly in pencil. For official documents, these were typed and then edited before producing the final version of the document.

It sounds like an area needing some research and investigation.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: DESPATCH BOOKS AND COMMUNICATIONS 11 years 4 months ago #7140

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Gordon,
In the early stages of the war, particularly in Natal, the heliograph was a favourite in the British army, but it had its limitations, moreover, anyone who knew morse could read the message, unless enciphered, usually, it was not! :(
Oil lamps were always carried, but, more often that not, the all important oil was forgotten!
A galloper and word of mouth was often the best way! :woohoo:
Regards Frank

gordonlennox wrote: The question may seem obvious but I need to understand how military communications worked in the remote regions. An officer needs to send a message to some outposts. Was it done by heliograph if the "wire" did not exist? What role the dispatch riders? How did the dispatch book system work? Did dispatch riders take copies of originals or the original? If a dispatch rider was captured and his bag looted what record was there of the contents of the bag for security purposes? Were all copies of document transcriptions done by hand? Any ideas?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds