Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Steinaeckers horse 12 years 3 months ago #1773

• cyclops10
  • cyclops10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My great great uncle Trooper John Tenniswood appears on the roll of Steinaeckers Horse from 1902 to the units disbandment in 1903. I think he joined them after the Yorkshire Regt left SA. The Yorkshire Regiment served for a time with Steinaeckers horse on some mission.
I have later learned that he served in several units and might have no connection with the Yorkshire Regt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Steinaeckers horse 12 years 3 months ago #1777

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Bill Woolmore's book 'Steinaecker's Horsemen' has a 10-line entry for John Tenniswood. There are details of his service during the Boer War in three Colonial units. If you do not have this information, I will copy it and post it later.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: cyclops10

Re: Steinaeckers horse 12 years 3 months ago #1780

• cyclops10
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you very much. I would really appreciate these details
Regards
John Tenniswood

Re: Steinaeckers horse 12 years 3 months ago #1781

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
This is the record of John Tenniswood in Bill Woolmore's book:

TENNISWOOD John. Trooper No. 1762: Born Lockwith, England on 6 December 1872. Served previously as Corporal No. 745 in 1st Kitchener’s Fighting Scouts which he joined at Durban on 3 January 1901 and served till 2 November 1901 when he was discharged at Pretoria. He also served as Private in the East Griqualand Mounted Volunteers for 134 days, and as Trooper No. 294 in the Natal Mounted Infantry for 59 days. Enlisted in SH on 28 July 1902 after the cessation of hostilities – age 27, quarryman, height 5’ 10”, grey eyes, brown hair, address PMB, Natal. NOK: mother at Poolbank, Leeds, Yorkshire, England. Discharged at Komati Poort on 7 February 1903 on disbandment of regiment. He qualified for the QSA medal with clasps Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal, SA 1901 & SA 1902. Medal and clasps were forwarded to Pool Bank, near Leeds.

Regards
Brett

Re: Steinaeckers horse 12 years 3 months ago #1782

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Seems that John Tenniswood was given the run-around with the issuing of his QSA. There seemed to been some confusion between the NMI and the KFS returns. His medal was however reissued on 20-10-04 with Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal, SA 1901 & SA 1902 clasps and forwarded to Pool Bank, near Leeds as Brett notes. On the NMI return it shows a medal was returned on 9-01-05 and that a SA 1902 clasp was returned on 12-02-08. Not sure if this was a double issue situation or if the reissued medal from 1904 never made it to Tenniswood. Any idea if he ever received his QSA?

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Steinaeckers horse 12 years 3 months ago #1785

• cyclops10
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you. I remember as a child (during WW11) I played with some spurs ay the home of my grandmother. I was told they were brought home by "uncle John" from the Boer war. (I don't remember meeting him) Recently I googled Trooper John Tenniswood ( myself) I was also a trooper John Tenniswood in 1950's Royal Armoured Corps.(5th Dragoon Guards) The name Trooper John Tenniswood came up connected with Steinaeckers Horse which I found fascinating hence my enquiry.
My Grandmother was his Sister in Law. His brother was killed in 1918. The address in Poolbank confirms we have the right man. That was his family home confirmed by Census

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds