Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"The History of the War from the Ultimatum to the Finish" 12 years 2 months ago #2362

• cedarmeadow
  • cedarmeadow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My Scottish grandfather was Trooper #2023 in the South African Constabulary between 1901-1904. Although he died before I was born, I have a number of his items form this period including QSA medal with 5 clasps; letter of acceptance as SAC Trooper; travel & sailing instructions; certificate of discharge; 2 carved pipe bowls with AngloBoerWar references; certificate re fitness of his horse for SAC service and others.

I also have 2 notebooks handwritten by my grandfather, dated Wolmansstad 20/11/02. These are school-style, lined exercise books. The titles given to these notebook writings are "The History of the war from the Ultimatum to the finish" Part I and Part II. The second notebook also includes 5 handcopied poems.

I am very curious about these notebooks. I have a hunch that my grandfather copied the text from another source rather than orininal composition. Is there a way to determine the origin of this writing? Any ideas about why he would have taken on the task of writing or copying this information? Is the information contained of any interest to anyone? I've attached my transcription of the text (minus the poems).

I appreciate any light anyone can shed on my puzzle. Thanks!

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds